Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Family Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Can someone file for back child support after the child reaches 18 in California? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=346923)

• Apr 27, 2009, 06:32 PM
    limygal
    Can someone file for back child support after the child reaches 18 in California?
    My brother never paid child support and my sister in law had to raise the son by herself without his financial help. In the original divorce papers it says he has to pay child support but never did. Now he is 22 and really needs help for college. Can my sister in law or my nephew sue my brother for back child support? My brother now owns and runs a successful real estate business and has done so for years so has the funds.

Thanks

:confused:
  • Apr 27, 2009, 06:42 PM
    Krazi

If I remember correctly he/she could have took him to court at 18 and sued him. 18 is the cut off limit unless he/she is a college student and then the age is 21. I will look around for more info for you...
  • Apr 27, 2009, 06:51 PM
    cadillac59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Krazi View Post
    If I remember correctly he/she could have took him to court at 18 and sued him. 18 is the cut off limit unless he/she is a college student and then the age is 21. I will look around for more info for ya....

There's no college-level support in California. Child support ends at 18 but continues as long as the 18-year-old is a full time high school student and ends when the child graduates or ceases being a full time high school student. In all cases it forever ends at 19.
  • Apr 27, 2009, 06:53 PM
    cadillac59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by limygal View Post
    My brother never paid child support and my sister in law had to raise the son by herself without his financial help. In the original divorce papers it says he has to pay child support but never did. Now he is 22 and really needs help for college. Can my sister in law or my nephew sue my brother for back child support? My brother now owns and runs a successful real estate business and has done so for years so has the funds.

Thanks

:confused:

Your sister-in-law can collect the back child support that was ordered but not paid with interest at the legal rate of 10%. Have her open a case with her local Department of Child Support Services (DCSS) and they will collect it for her for free.
  • Apr 27, 2009, 06:56 PM
    Krazi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillac59 View Post
    Your sister-in-law can collect the back child support that was ordered but not paid with interest at the legal rate of 10%. Have her open a case with her local Department of Child Support Services (DCSS) and they will collect it for her for free.

God your quick!!

Lmao! +1 rep.
  • Apr 27, 2009, 07:21 PM
    ScottGem

The key here is that the divorce decree ordered child support. Its very difficult to get support for a time prior to when you file for support. But if the support was ordered and never paid then she has every right to try and collect the arrearage.