Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Health Insurance (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Maternity Leave (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=212746)

• May 5, 2008, 08:54 AM
    Carebear86
    Maternity Leave
    Hello.

I am currently pregnant and very EXCITED! :)

My question is: How long to I have to go back to work after Maternity Leave so all my health insurance is covered? See my situation is my boyfriend and I aren't married, but we are putting the baby on his insurance once it's born so that wouldn't be a prob, just was wondering if I decided I didn't want to go back to work... just for how long I would so the insurance would cover all my hospital bills?

Thank you in advance! :)
  • May 5, 2008, 02:03 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    Ok, your boyfriends insurance is not going to cover the cost of the baby being born, he can ( if he is listed on the birth certificate or proves he is the father by DNA) add the baby to his insurance after the baby is born, but that will only cover costs after the baby is added.

To cover your having the baby, you have to be covered NOW, in fact you can not even get insurance ( unless it is group insurance) while you are pegnant.
  • May 6, 2008, 08:10 AM
    jef1056
    If I understand your question. You want to know how long you can keep the employer sponsored group health plan you currently have. If you decide not to return to work after the baby is born. Follow MsMewiththat's advice in checking with your HR now, to see what they will allow and who will be paying for it.
    In addition to that, before the birth, you should.
    Have your boyfriend check with his insurance to be sure they will cover his newborn and how it needs to be done, name on the Birth certificate, etc. The size of the company and how they insure can affect how and who they will cover. Fully insured are regulated differently than self funded plans. If allowed you have a 30 day window, as a qualifying
    Event, to add the baby.
    Some states, carriers and/or companies allow domestic partners to be covered as a family. You may be able to be covered under his plan or he and the baby on yours. Keep in mind that you will be going from single coverage to dual or family option at much higher cost. Any time you can cover 2 adults and a child under one family plan that will be the least expensive way to go.
    Typically a mothers insurance will cover the birth and cover the newborn until discharged from the hospital, check with your insurance to confirm. Worst case you, and your newborn could continue under COBRA with your current, soon to be Ex employer.
    Check with the hospital to be sure all departments will accept your insurance. Your Doc, and the hospital may, Radiology and Anesthesiology may not.

Check in advance and be sure to speak with your carrier directly. Ultimately you are responsible to pay, no matter what HR, the Doctor or Hospital tell you.

Just some of the things you can look for