Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Computers for Beginners (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Screen Resolution problem (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=16486)

• Dec 25, 2005, 04:28 PM
    pearcejohnston
    Screen Resolution problem
    Hi. We use a hp pavilion f1703 flat screen monitor on Radeon 9200 series. Every time the computer restarts the screen resolution defaults to 640x480 and Low 8 bit colour. I can change the resolution to 800x600 and Highest (32 bit) colour but it doesn't remember that info when I restart the computer so I have to change it every time! Any ideas on how to make it stay on the higher resolution? Thanks in advance...
  • Dec 25, 2005, 07:10 PM
    RickJ
    What operating system are you using?
  • Dec 25, 2005, 07:20 PM
    pearcejohnston
    We are using Windows XP Home Edition.
  • Dec 25, 2005, 07:53 PM
    RickJ
    Hmmm. Can't seem to find a Windows issue about it.

Is this a recent issue?

Did you install any hardware or software just prior to the issue starting?

If it were me, I'd shut down, remove the video card, then re-seat it, then re-install the driver for it.

Let us know if that works. If it doesn't, let us know how long this has been going on, and if you can think of any software or hardware changes you made just prior to first noticing it.
  • Dec 26, 2005, 05:21 AM
    Curlyben
    Sounds like a driver issue to me.
    Try updating to the latest driver from HERE

Hopefully this should solve your issue.
  • Dec 26, 2005, 06:38 AM
    pearcejohnston
    Hi Rick

Thanks for your answer. The problem started after the hard drive was wiped clean and everything was reinstalled (by a computer repair shop) after a power surge.

You will have to excuse my ignorance... but what does the video card look like and where would I find it?

Thanks!

Hi Curlyben

I have just looked at the link... which one do I need to download?

RADEON

Display Drivers and Software for RADEON Products

Catalyst 5.13 Windows XP - Driver Download

ATI Multimedia Center 9.08

HYDRAVISION - For RADEON and Mobile ATI Products

Catalyst Crew Feedback

Thanks!
  • Dec 26, 2005, 06:48 AM
    Curlyben
    You want the Catalyst 5.13 Windows XP driver, should fix the problem just fine.
  • Dec 26, 2005, 03:07 PM
    pearcejohnston
    Hi

I downloaded that file but after restarting my computer, I got the following error message -

cli.exe - Application Error

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application.

Also when I tried to click on the shortcut on my desktop to ATI Control Centre, I got the same message.

I uninstalled the control centre, and downloaded just the Driver file but nothing happened at all. So I downloaded the full file again, same problems.

Any ideas??
  • Dec 27, 2005, 04:10 AM
    RickJ
    Man, this one's over my head now.

After saying this happened after formatting, I assumed re-installing the driver would have taken care of it.

Is that monitor new enough to be able to get one of their tech support folk on the phone?
  • Dec 27, 2005, 07:11 AM
    ScottGem
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pearcejohnston
    Hi. We use a hp pavilion f1703 flat screen monitor on Radeon 9200 series. Every time the computer restarts the screen resolution defaults to 640x480 and Low 8 bit colour. I can change the resolution to 800x600 and Highest (32 bit) colour but it doesn't remember that info when I restart the computer so I have to change it every time! Any ideas on how to make it stay on the higher resolution? Thanks in advance...

This usually means that your video Adapter is not configured correctly. Since you reformatted you probably did not load the driver for video adapter so its defaulting to standard SVGA. What you need to do is tell Windows what adapter you are using and load the correct driver for that adapter. Go to the Advanced button on the screen where you set the resolution and select the exact adapter you have in your system.
  • Dec 27, 2005, 02:56 PM
    pearcejohnston
    Hey Curlyben

I went back and downloaded the latest XP service pack and the .net download and the Catalyst has now downloaded without any problems. It hasn't fixed the problem though... still defaults to 640x480 when I restart.

Hey Scott

It is picking up the correct monitor - hp pavilion f1703 - and also adapter - Radeon 9200 (which I can only assume is correct! ).

ANY IDEAS? This is driving me nuts :confused:
  • Dec 27, 2005, 03:06 PM
    NeedKarma
    Here is something you can try:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...n&cc=us&os=228
  • Dec 27, 2005, 04:49 PM
    pearcejohnston
    Hi Needkarma

No luck... it downloaded and installed OK but display still defaulting to 640x480 when I restart.

:(
  • Dec 27, 2005, 08:00 PM
    ScottGem
    Monitor doesn't matter, but WHERE is it picking the adapter? The symptoms you describe indicate that you don't have the right adapter. Try contacting HP tech support. (1-800-hpinvent)
  • Feb 16, 2008, 09:18 AM
    steve1sr50
    Whenever I start the computer with skype the default resolution reduces to a lower resolution?
  • Feb 16, 2008, 10:37 AM
    morgaine300
    Quote:

Originally Posted by steve1sr50
    whenever I start the computer with skype the default resolution reduces to a lower resolution?

You should probably start your own thread. You've stuck this on a thread that is almost 2 months old, and usually I don't even look at ones with 11 answers on them already, and other people may not notice your question. (I don't know anything about Skype, but does the resolution change back when you leave? Some things will change a resolution because that's what they need to run, but will also change it back when you leave. Like I know a lot of games will do this.)
  • Feb 16, 2008, 02:55 PM
    steve1sr50
    Thank you. This was my first post. I have reposted with more information.