Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Internet & the Web (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Map and Mileage Sites That Are Really Easy to Use If You Have a Slow Connection? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=432941)

• Jan 8, 2010, 03:14 AM
    Clough
    Map and Mileage Sites That Are Really Easy to Use If You Have a Slow Connection?
    Hi, All!

What are some map and mileage sites to use if you have a slow connection and the usual ones like, Google Maps , Yahoo! Maps, Driving Directions, and Traffic and MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map might take forever to load?

Are there other sites that don't have as much on them in order to calculate mileage and driving directions?

I'm on a really old and slow computer right now and am needing to get some information to my attorney where I have to be able to figure a bunch of mileages to places.

I can't get into my regular, fast computer because it won't start.

Thanks!
  • Jan 10, 2010, 03:24 AM
    Clough
    Hmmm... :confused:

Still no takers on this?

Of course, I realize that I'm probably using one of the more ancient, dinosauric computers out of everyone here.

It's Windows '98. And, on a dial-up, no less!

Sob... :(
  • Jan 10, 2010, 05:16 PM
    morgaine300

Well, I didn't answer cause I'm not aware of any map thing that wouldn't be slow on dial-up. It has to load those images so don't know if one exists. I used to try to use them on dial-up so I understand the frustration.

And nothing wrong with Win98 if it works for you. I used Win95 until 03 and people made fun of me. :-) I still have it on another computer.
  • Jan 10, 2010, 10:38 PM
    Clough
    Hi, morgaine300!

I did find where MSN Maps & Directions - Get Directions seemed to work in a reasonable amount of time.

That was after checking out a number of the other sites for that kind of thing.

Thanks!
  • Jan 10, 2010, 11:23 PM
    KISS

Use Wolfram|Alpha

Use the querry "distance <zip code> to <zip code>"

Spits out like butter

It knows about zip codes and aparently city and state. It doesn't know about addresses.
  • Jan 10, 2010, 11:28 PM
    Clough
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    use Wolfram|Alpha

Use the querry "distance <zip code> to <zip code>"

spits out like butter

It knows about zip codes and aparently city and state. It doesn;t know about addresses.

I'll check that out, KISS!

I'd never previously heard about it nor found it in searches.

Thanks!
  • Jan 10, 2010, 11:29 PM
    KISS

Maps.google.com spits it out pretty fast. You don't have to print anything. Just do a get directions and type in 2 addresses.

Most of the computation is on the server side.
  • Jan 10, 2010, 11:32 PM
    KISS
    WA is new. You'll find me using it for some of the math stuff here.

It's an odd engine. It's in development. It's a mathematical artificial intelligence tingy. It tries, not always successful. But it tries.

It tries to guess what you want. What you want has to be numerical in nature.
  • Apr 25, 2012, 06:11 PM
    dbaierl
    Www.distancebetweencities.com worked pretty good on my Wii which is a pretty slow internet device due to low built in memory I do believe
  • Apr 25, 2012, 06:15 PM
    dbaierl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dbaierl View Post
    www.distancebetweencities.com worked pretty good on my Wii which is a pretty slow internet device due to low built in memory I do believe

Correction: .net not .com