Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Current Events (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=486)
-   -   The manefestation of a bigger problem (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=847492)

• Jun 5, 2020, 09:36 AM
    talaniman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    Not everybody went along with the symbolism of the national anthem.

The "knee on the neck" video touches anybody who is a human being.

A horrific video is worth a thousand words and actions. Did you know it was a vet who suggested Colin take a knee rather than sit the bench? Taking a knee is a sign of respect. Noticed the cops kneeling with protestors? An act of respect, unity, and understanding.
  • Jun 5, 2020, 09:41 AM
    jlisenbe
    Taking a knee would not be a sign of respect when the National Anthem is being played.

I still hope you will outline what specific laws need to be changed.
  • Jun 5, 2020, 10:04 AM
    talaniman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Taking a knee would not be a sign of respect when the National Anthem is being played.

I still hope you will outline what specific laws need to be changed.

That's you're opinion not mine which is as valid as yours, and I did outline my changes and they need to be codified nationally. Did you know that choke and strangleholds were NOT banned by many states and localities. We can change that right now! Even where it is banned cops still use it with impunity!

https://reason.com/2016/07/08/police...olicies-choke/

Think the dufus and all his outrage would get with that? I don't.
  • Jun 5, 2020, 10:35 AM
    jlisenbe
    Quote:

Did you know that choke and strangleholds were NOT banned by many states and localities. We can change that right now! Even where it is banned cops still use it with impunity!
    Not sure they should be. If I'm in a fight for my life with a criminal, I would like to have all the advantages I can have. Now once the suspect is down and cuffed, then yeah, the fight's over then.
  • Jun 5, 2020, 12:40 PM
    talaniman
    Well we have two videos of people choked out by cops after they were down and said they couldn't breathe, one in cuffs. 8 minutes is a LONG time to choke a guy. Wonder about any other such incidences not be video taped or where cops turned off the body cams. Another thing that should change...fire a cop who engages after they turn those cams off.

https://twitter.com/davidbegnaud/sta...355810818?s=21
  • Jun 5, 2020, 01:21 PM
    Athos
    Quote:

Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Did you know it was a vet who suggested Colin take a knee rather than sit the bench? Taking a knee is a sign of respect. Noticed the cops kneeling with protestors? An act of respect, unity, and understanding.

You're correct about the respect shown by Colin's taking a knee. He was referencing police brutality while the national anthem/(flag) played. The majority consensus (at least the NFL fans) seemed to be that he was being disrespectful to the national anthem/(flag).

A dialogue on race begins with understanding/discussing/preventing excessive police violence against blacks who are often unarmed and peaceable as several videos have shown over the past few years. Not a few blacks have been murdered by police, often later exonerated by white juries on flimsy defense arguments - "I feared for my life" - as the young unarmed black man was running away before he was shot in the back.

A word to the wise -- there are members here who falsely say they are interested in a dialogue. They are NOT. What they ARE interested in is disagreeing/debunking whatever others may bring up that doesn't fit in with their biases. They do not search for solutions to ancient problems. Rather, they wish to confront others searching for solutions with their own criticisms of black culture that are the usual positions of white supremacists.
  • Jun 5, 2020, 01:37 PM
    jlisenbe
    Quote:

Well we have two videos of people choked out by cops after they were down and said they couldn't breathe, one in cuffs. 8 minutes is a LONG time to choke a guy. Wonder about any other such incidences not be video taped or where cops turned off the body cams. Another thing that should change...fire a cop who engages after they turn those cams off.
    Isn't that what I said about choke holds??? What's the disagreement?

As to the bodycams, they certainly should be on. My understanding on this, and it could be wrong, is that the bodycams stay off when the officer is in the car since it would not be useful to film the steering wheel. But at any rate, they certainly should be on once the officer steps out of the car. If I was a cop, I'd WANT mine on.
  • Jun 6, 2020, 07:03 AM
    talaniman
    Quote:

Isn't that what I said about choke holds??? What's the disagreement?

Relax, I could actually see one cop defending his life, but that hasn't been the case to my knowledge. More so its baffling that multiple cops would need a choke hold or multiple shots to bring down an unarmed person on their own property, or anywhere else for that matter.
  • Jun 6, 2020, 07:30 AM
    jlisenbe
    Quote:

More so its baffling that multiple cops would need a choke hold or multiple shots to bring down an unarmed person on their own property, or anywhere else for that matter.
    That is a good question, but it's worthwhile to note that those cases are very infrequent. Now the 150 black people who are murdered every every week, unnoticed, never spoken about, and depressingly ignored by practically everyone, is a constant that we should respond to.
  • Jun 6, 2020, 08:04 AM
    talaniman
    Don't you think that black on black crime should be responded to just like any other crime in America? Don't you agree that police brutality is more frequent than is reported, if reported but has been a generational cry in the black community. Just because it hasn't reached your ears and awareness doesn't mean it doesn't happen as we say, so stop comparing and start LISTENING. Or maybe you have heard this cry for years and dismissed it because no videos capture it.
  • Jun 6, 2020, 10:01 AM
    tomder55
    I'll assume you know what a food desert is in an urban community . Minneapolis had a bunch of them already . They can add 8 more neighborhoods since the riots and looting in support of the George Floyd murder protests .

Quote:

There’s a 6-mile long commercial corridor in South Minneapolis called Lake Street, and it has been destroyed.
    “We no longer have pharmacies in our community,” said ZoeAna Martinez, who works for the Lake Street Council, a business association. “We no longer have gas stations as well. Our largest grocery stores are also gone,” Martinez said. “Right now, our community, we live in a food desert, which happened overnight.”
    https://www.marketplace.org/2020/06/...rts-overnight/

Add to that ,public transportation is down and the morons in the City Council are seriously considering defunding the police dept . Who in their right mind would make the investment to open again in a place where they are not guaranteed the basic protections required ?
  • Jun 6, 2020, 10:21 AM
    talaniman
    Typical conservative rhetoric, you need those head busting cops to keep the local sheeple in order and the whole black community is infested with criminals. Great job you've done serving and protecting. Not a peep from you on cleaning out the racists bad cops you send into those neighborhoods though. Why is that? The cop who killed Floyd was a training officer with two neebies showing them how it's done.

Address that since that's what this is about. Spare me the excuses to keep those attitudes antics and behaviors going. The world is watching.
  • Jun 6, 2020, 10:37 AM
    tomder55
    500 businesses in Minneapolis were destroyed ,looted ,vandalized . Yeah those are the innocent victims that concern me.
    Yeah the world is watching .
    https://www.marketplace.org/wp-conte...reen.jpg?w=600
  • Jun 6, 2020, 10:42 AM
    tomder55
    What the world is seeing is the manifestation of 50 years and $ trillions in failed progressive urban policies .
  • Jun 6, 2020, 10:47 AM
    Wondergirl
    "500 businesses in Minneapolis were destroyed ,looted ,vandalized" by mostly WHITE opportunists (look at the videos and photos).
  • Jun 6, 2020, 10:58 AM
    tomder55
    I did not bring up race in either of my comments but you and tal did . Antifa ?
    They added the graffiti 'I can't breathe' for emphasis .
  • Jun 6, 2020, 11:22 AM
    jlisenbe
    Quote:

Don't you agree that police brutality is more frequent than is reported, if reported but has been a generational cry in the black community. Just because it hasn't reached your ears and awareness doesn't mean it doesn't happen as we say, so stop comparing and start LISTENING.
    So if the facts don't support you, you just assume it is worse than is being reported? On what basis?

Quote:

Typical conservative rhetoric, you need those head busting cops to keep the local sheeple in order and the whole black community is infested with criminals.
    No one said that or anything close to it. Honestly, if there is any justice to be found anywhere in this world, your house and property will be next. Then we can listen to you shedding tears about how the police that you despise so much did not arrive on time.

Quote:

"500 businesses in Minneapolis were destroyed ,looted ,vandalized" by mostly WHITE opportunists (look at the videos and photos).
    Idle speculation.
  • Jun 6, 2020, 12:06 PM
    talaniman
    Quote:

So if the facts don't support you, you just assume it is worse than is being reported? On what basis?

Because at the end of the day you go home to your little community, but black people stay in theirs. Who should we believe about what goes on in whose community?

Quote:

No one said that or anything close to it. Honestly, if there is any justice to be found anywhere in this world, your house and property will be next. Then we can listen to you shedding tears about how the police that you despise so much did not arrive on time.
    Don't hold your breathe. For the record I've never said I hated cops, just the racists bad ones that do exist. I want THEM out, don't YOU? Why not?
  • Jun 6, 2020, 12:09 PM
    jlisenbe
    Quote:

For the record I've never said I hated cops, just the racists bad ones that do exist. I want THEM out, don't YOU? Why not?
    I absolutely do want them out, but I'm careful to not make wild statements like this one that gives the impression I hate cops. "Typical conservative rhetoric, you need those head busting cops to keep the local sheeple in order and the whole black community is infested with criminals."

Quote:

Because at the end of the day you go home to your little community, but black people stay in theirs. Who should we believe about what goes on in whose community?
    Which is why we keep statistics and use data instead of relying on our impressions and emotions.
  • Jun 6, 2020, 01:53 PM
    jlisenbe
    Tal, just for the record, I do understand some of your protests. For most of our history, black people's lives have been less valued than the lives of whites, and some of that has carried over to this time. There are people who are prejudiced against minorities, and there is the very occasional (in my view) instances of serious police misconduct, so I get that. Where we differ is in how much responsibility the black community bears for some of the problems they face, and which of those problems are truly wide-spread and very serious versus which ones are a good bit less so.