Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Current Events (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=486)
-   -   Youth on the rampage (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=847985)

• Mar 5, 2021, 02:49 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    So healthy families don't need police services, med services, schools, nursing homes, etc.???

You didn't read the link, did you and have no idea what that village consists of.
    Quote:

Why won't it be the case most of the time?
    Read Genesis 3.
  • Mar 5, 2021, 03:25 PM
    jlisenbe
    Quote:

You didn't read the link, did you and have no idea what that village consists of.
    I read your post and responded to it. You know, the one that said that healthy families don't need the village?

And this is from your link. Are you really saying that healthy families don't need these things? Did YOU read your own link?

"Here are some of the ways you can build your own village to raise a child.

• Teach kids to respect other adults.
    • Build friendships.
    • Encourage hobbies.
    • Volunteer to carpool.
    • Help out others.
    • Organize a text chain.
    • Deal with problems in person.
    • Get to know your neighbors.
    • Remember that everybody struggles."

Quote:

Read Genesis 3.
    Why do you limit the effects of sin just to the family structure? Why not murder as well? "After all, we just have to get used to people getting murdered because, you know, there is that Genesis 3 thing." How about home invasions? Should we just get used to it? Rape? Lying? Child abuse? Wife beatings? Racism? Is "Genesis 3" your reply to all of the social pathologies of our time? Do you resist nothing? And for that matter, why doesn't Genesis 3 mean we should give up on hoping to strengthen the "village"?
  • Mar 5, 2021, 03:29 PM
    paraclete
    YES, JL, we live in a fallen world and you just have to resign yourself to that fact, every sin imaginable will be committed , is being committed. You recall this is why Jesus came, to save us from ourselves because the law couldn't save us
  • Mar 5, 2021, 03:32 PM
    jlisenbe
    Quote:

YES, JL, we live in a fallen world and you just have to resign yourself to that fact, every sin imaginable will be committed , is being committed. You recall this is why Jesus came, to save us from ourselves because the law couldn't save us
    You raise your voice against social ills every week on this site. So does everyone else. Why haven't you decided to "resign yourself to that fact"?

It is one thing to know we live in a fallen world. It is entirely different to use that to accept and, even worse, justify the many evils that exist in the world. You guys can abandon the family if you want to. I had to deal with too many sad cases caused by, for the most part, absent or irresponsible dads, and sometimes moms as well. I am not about to abandon the field because of some feeble appeal to Genesis 3.
  • Mar 5, 2021, 05:38 PM
    talaniman
    Obviously many stray from the good orderly path and fallen between the cracks and have to be dealt with in humane reasonable fashion. Sometimes it's through no fault of their own, but there are those that have no intention of following a good orderly path. maybe we deal with them more sternly but the challenge is knowing the difference.
  • Mar 5, 2021, 07:26 PM
    paraclete
    Quote:

You raise your voice against social ills every week on this site. So does everyone else. Why haven't you decided to "resign yourself to that fact"?

It is one thing to know we live in a fallen world. It is entirely different to use that to accept and, even worse, justify the many evils that exist in the world. You guys can abandon the family if you want to. I had to deal with too many sad cases caused by, for the most part, absent or irresponsible dads, and sometimes moms as well. I am not about to abandon the field because of some feeble appeal to Genesis 3.

I am resigned to the fact they exist, doesn't stop me seeking solutions, we don't deal with any absolute but one. I have never been guilty of abandoning my family despite many trials
  • Mar 5, 2021, 08:24 PM
    jlisenbe
    Quote:

I am resigned to the fact they exist, doesn't stop me seeking solutions,
    That I can agree with. WG treats Gen. 3 as a justification for any social oddity that she agrees with.

Quote:

we don't deal with any absolute but one.
    There are a lot of absolutes.

Quote:

I have never been guilty of abandoning my family despite many trials
    Thank God for that.
  • Mar 5, 2021, 08:54 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

That I can agree with. WG treats Gen. 3 as a justification for any social oddity that she agrees with.

Apparently, you've never read and fully understood Genesis 3. It's an allegory, btw.
  • Mar 5, 2021, 08:56 PM
    jlisenbe
    Quote:

Apparently, you've never read and fully understood Genesis 3. It's an allegory, btw.
    Jesus understood it to be literal. Perhaps you can correct Him about that.
  • Mar 5, 2021, 09:04 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Jesus understood it to be literal. Perhaps you can correct Him about that.
    No, but he understood the truth and the lesson in it.

Oh, and Cain and Abel were most likely twins.
  • Mar 6, 2021, 05:54 AM
    jlisenbe
    Quote:

No, but he understood the truth and the lesson in it.
    He spoke of Abel, Adam and Eve as literal people. You will need to correct Him on that.

Quote:

Oh, and Cain and Abel were most likely twins.
    Cain and Abel were actually Remus and Romulus adapted to the OT. And they were some of the first liberal democrats.
  • Mar 6, 2021, 09:48 AM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

He spoke of Abel, Adam and Eve as literal people. You will need to correct Him on that.
    He knew He had to; that was required when talking about "original sin". Same with Noah -- keep the allegory alive.
  • Mar 6, 2021, 09:51 AM
    jlisenbe
    Quote:

He knew He had to; that was required when talking about "original sin". Same with Noah -- keep the allegory alive.
    And you know this how? There certainly is no Bible reason to believe that, so how would you know such a thing?
  • Mar 6, 2021, 09:55 AM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Cain and Abel were actually Remus and Romulus adapted to the OT. And they were some of the first liberal democrats.
    No, no, no! Cain was the guy with the horned Viking helmet, storming the Capitol on January 6th. Abel was the one who helped AOC feed the beaten-down Texans after that devastating winter storm.
  • Mar 6, 2021, 10:05 AM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

And you know this how? There certainly is no Bible reason to believe that, so how would you know such a thing?
    If Jesus, each time He told that story, had changed their names, e.g., to Fred and Ethel or Abelard and Heloise, His listeners wouldn't have understood what He was talking about, would have shaken their heads and walked away.
  • Mar 6, 2021, 10:34 AM
    jlisenbe
    That just a rational excuse you use. It is nothing that even approaches evidence that you know what Jesus was talking about. If effect, you are saying he willingly lied.
  • Mar 6, 2021, 10:37 AM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

you are saying he willingly lied.
    Lied about what? -- the lesson in Genesis 3?
  • Mar 6, 2021, 10:47 AM
    jlisenbe
    No, but that those people actually existed. And that Abraham, Noah, and the many others in Genesis existed. And Paul and the other writers of the NT engaged in the same campaign of lying if what you say is true. It is simply an outrageous claim.

It would be so nice if you would learn the difference between mere conjecture versus actual supporting evidence. There is not so much as a whisper in the NT that Jesus was following the path you suggested. It is just guesswork on your part, and poor guesswork at that, which you engage in to try and validate you liberal orthodoxy.
  • Mar 6, 2021, 11:29 AM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

No, but that those people actually existed. And that Abraham, Noah, and the many others in Genesis existed. And Paul and the other writers of the NT engaged in the same campaign of lying if what you say is true. It is simply an outrageous claim.
    Now you've added Abraham to your accusations. Why not go the whole nine yards and add Jesus too?

Did you ever tell traditional moralistic stories to your own kids or to your students? Did you change the names of the characters? If not, why not?
    Quote:

to try and validate you liberal orthodoxy.
    At least I'm not a literalist.

Quote:

How about this explanation:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gkikBKW8vmQ
  • Mar 6, 2021, 11:30 AM
    jlisenbe
    Quote:

At least I'm not a literalist.
    You certainly are not. You really believe that your conjecture trumps the Bible. Jesus lied. Paul lied. The author of Hebrews lied. And how do we know that? Because WG said so!!