Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Computers for Beginners (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Slow computer; any thoughts? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=293954)

• Dec 22, 2008, 11:08 AM
    Curlyben
    Excellent.
    Well according to Dell's site you need DDR 400 Mhz RAM modules.
    Dell : Memory : Accessories : Home & Home Office

These are relatively easy to get hold of and quite cheap as well.
  • Dec 22, 2008, 11:17 AM
    this8384

Will this one work?

1GB PC2700 LOW DENSITY DDR MEMORY 4 DELL DIMENSION 2400 - eBay (item 200270479830 end time Jan-01-09 00:41:55 PST)
  • Dec 22, 2008, 11:20 AM
    this8384

Never mind, the one I linked to is only 333mHz; I found a 400 mHz from the same seller. Thank you so much :)
  • Dec 29, 2008, 03:41 PM
    this8384

Alrighty! I just received my "Dell validated" 1GB, 400mHz RAM in the mail... now what? Lol

Is it a "plug & play" so to speak? Do I pull off the cover, insert it(with the computer off, of course!) & I'm good to go?
  • Dec 29, 2008, 03:45 PM
    Curlyben
    Yep, that's about it.
    You may get a RAM warning, but READ what it says and go from there.

Make sure you earth yourself so as not to damage the memory module.
    Also remove the old 128 stick as well.
  • Dec 29, 2008, 04:34 PM
    this8384

Okie dokie; got it in! Would have saved a lot of time, had I not experienced a blonde moment and forgotten that the side panel has a "release lever" lol

It seems to be faster but could still use some help. For example: I turned it on, Windows loaded and asked which profile I would like to use. I scrolled over the name and it took 8 full seconds for the mouse arrow to change to a hand. Do you recommend I try everything(defrag, CCleaner, etc.) all over again?
  • Dec 29, 2008, 08:50 PM
    cogs

To run event viewer, go start/run/type eventvwr.msc, then take a look at both the applications, and system errors. You might see something that happens at the same time as your windows logon. Only worry if it's an error.
  • Dec 30, 2008, 06:54 AM
    vingogly

Another thing you might try is downloading and running Process Explorer, and looking for processes that are hogging your CPU (event viewer will give you a static view of errors that have occurred, process explorer will give you a dynamic view of what's happening in your CPU).
  • Dec 30, 2008, 07:18 AM
    this8384

All of the most recents errors in the Applications file are described as IE "hanging" and the last one occurred yesterday at 8:55am. I assume that's just when it temporarily freezes, which it hasn't done quite yet since I upgraded the RAM last night around 5pm.

There hasn't been an error recorded in the System file since 12/19; that was to tell me my AVG E-mail scanner didn't load quick enough.

I also downloaded Process Explorer; doesn't seem like there's anything unnecessarily running or taking up a lot of space.