Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Pools - Spas & Saunas (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=261)
-   -   Fix hole on outside above ground pool (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=227018)

• Jun 15, 2008, 05:17 AM
    BeckyWood
    Fix hole on outside above ground pool
    My husband whole mowing threw a rock that put a small hole in the outside of our above ground pool. It did not penetrate the lining but we are afraid it may by the jagged edge. How can we fix the hole?
  • Jun 15, 2008, 08:09 AM
    ballengerb1
    If the rock actually pierced the thin skin of the pool and not the liner you are truly one lucky duck. Yes it will be jagged and it will eventually cut the liner and that was the good news. The bad news is that you need to slide a small patch between the liner and the metal wall so you have to remove the top rail. How far below the water line is the hole?
  • Jun 15, 2008, 04:53 PM
    BeckyWood
    We will have to empty the water at least three quarters to be able to take the top rail off.
    Yes, we were very lucky it didn't rupture it immediately. We do still have patches from last year because we had a pin size hole in the liner and the patch is still tending to that just fine.
    Thank you for responding.
    Becky Wood
  • Jun 15, 2008, 08:11 PM
    ballengerb1
    Becky, you do not need to drop the water at all to remove the top rail, it just unscrews. Then you can peel the liner away from the wall down to the water line andabout 4-5" further before you have to stop. How much below the water line is the rock hole in inches. We need to smooth out the jagged edge of the rock hole and add a layer of support or bridging over the hole. It sounds like the vinyl patch kit is not needed, yet.
  • Jun 16, 2008, 03:23 AM
    BeckyWood
    The hole is like two feet maybe from the bottom of the pool.
  • Jun 16, 2008, 07:35 AM
    KISS
    It doesn't sound like a lot of fun. I would suspect that a metal patch can be riveted in place once you can get too it. You could then put a patch on the liner just to increase the thickness around the hole. You can also ask the pool company for recommended options.
  • Jun 16, 2008, 07:58 AM
    ballengerb1
    Looks like you'll need to drain the pool half way. The metal patch doesn't need to be too substantial and you might get away with a thick sheet of plastic. The idea is to flatten out the hole and get the sharp edges to not be sticking inward where they will scratch the liner. I would try to slide a block of wood between the wall and the liner and then hammer on the outside to flatten the edges. Construction adhesive on a piece of sheet metal of heavy plastic should hold the patch in place since the water pressure will help hold it in place once refilled.
  • Jun 16, 2008, 08:09 AM
    wildandblue
    Yes she just needs to smooth out the jagged areas to prevent them from tearing the liner or giving anyone tetanus. Maybe she could stuff some steel wool pads in to the hole until the next time she drains it to clean and refill. The kind of epoxy that you repair sheetmetal rust holes on cars would work. Around here we make cheapo kiddy pools or stock watering tanks using wire mesh fencing folded in half, a few rounds thick and lined with one or two blue plastic tarps. Holds water well.