Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Cutting cast iron pipe (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=206214)

• Apr 15, 2008, 02:44 PM
    Tamtreppur
    Cutting cast iron pipe
    CAN anyone tell me the best way to cut some 5" cast iron pipe in place? I'm in the middle of a remodel and looking for the easiest and fastest way to cut it so I can install PVC up to the old cast iron via a flexible boot.

Thanks ,
    Matt
  • Apr 15, 2008, 03:22 PM
    massplumber2008
    2 Attachment(s)
    Hey Matt:

I would love to understand better what you are doing..

The ultimate, absolute best way to cut cast iron pipe today is going to be by using the LENOX DIAMOND sawzall blade (available only at plumbing supply houses that I know of right now).

Compare this to the carbide tipped sawzall blade (old standby) and the diamond sawzall blade cut almost 3 times faster... very impressed with it over the last month I have been using it.

If no diamond sawzall blades available, some like the carbide tipped blades... I don't. Instead I use the 8" (8/10) teeth per inch bi-metal sawzall blade. It may take 2 or 3 to finish a cut on XH cast iron pipe, but will do a good job.

I would recommend that you use a riser clamp (see pic.) to hang the pipe you are cutting if you think there will be any weight on the stack you are cutting into.

And if transitioning to PVC will need a cast x pvc shielded coupling to attach pipe (see other pic.)... this meets code requirements!

I would not use a snap cutter or a ratchet cutter... the diamond blade makes it so no reason to take the chance of crushing the pipe or shattering the pipe and dropping pieces into drain line... stick with sawzall blades (best case cut pipe in 15 minutes... worst case... 1 hour... ;) ).

There you go... hope that made sense!. Mark

If this answer helped, please RATE THIS ANSWER. Thank you.

• Apr 15, 2008, 04:01 PM
    Tamtreppur
    Quote:

Originally Posted by massplumber2008
    Hey Matt:

I would love to understand better what you are doing...?

The ultimate, absolute best way to cut cast iron pipe today is going to be by using the LENOX DIAMOND sawzall blade (available only at plumbing supply houses that I know of right now).

Compare this to the carbide tipped sawzall blade (old standby) and the diamond sawzall blade cut almost 3 times faster...very impressed with it over the last month I have been using it.

If no diamond sawzall blades available, some like the carbide tipped blades...I don't. Instead I use the 8" (8/10) teeth per inch bi-metal sawzall blade. It may take 2 or 3 to finish a cut on XH cast iron pipe, but will do a good job.

I would recommend that you use a riser clamp (see pic.) to hang the pipe you are cutting if you think there will be any weight on the stack you are cutting into.

And if transitioning to PVC will need a cast x pvc shielded coupling to attach pipe (see other pic.)...this meets code requirements!!

I would not use a snap cutter or a ratchet cutter....the diamond blade makes it so no reason to take the chance of crushing the pipe or shattering the pipe and dropping pieces into drain line....stick with sawzall blades (best case cut pipe in 15 minutes...worst case...1 hour...;) ).

There you go...hope that made sense!!...Mark

If this answer helped, please RATE THIS ANSWER. Thank you.

Thanks Mark, that's a great help. Yeah, Iused carbide blades before, but took forever! I'll try the diamond blade.