Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Plumbing (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=259)
-   -   Cpvc (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=12594)

• Sep 11, 2005, 07:30 AM
    speedball1
    Cpvc
    ortmanprop
    Newbie Join Date: Sep 2005

Using CPVC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HI,
    I'm a first time user of this site.
    My question is:
    When using cpvc and connecting to copper what is the right amount of tighting required to make the connection without any leaks. It has been my experience that out of 5 connections going from copper to a cpvc 3 of the fittings develop very tiny drip type leaks.
    My method for connecting is:
    I put teflon tape on the copper theads and use a cpvc female fitting. I'm not sure how much to tighten the fitting.
    I'm installing a water hearter of 40 gals. On the cold side no leaks. On the hot side coming from the water heater a very small drip and where the cpvc connects to the hot water line a even smaller dip.
    Is this the results of over tighting or not tighting enough?
    I await your answer!
    Thank You
    Ortmanprop
  • Sep 11, 2005, 07:55 AM
    speedball1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by speedball1
    ortmanprop
    Newbie Join Date: Sep 2005

Using CPVC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HI,
    I'm a first time user of this site.
    My question is:
    When using cpvc and connecting to copper what is the right amount of tighting required to make the connection without any leaks. It has been my experience that out of 5 connections going from copper to a cpvc 3 of the fittings develop very tiny drip type leaks.
    My method for connecting is:
    I put teflon tape on the copper theads and use a cpvc female fitting. I'm not sure how much to tighten the fitting.
    I'm installing a water hearter of 40 gals. On the cold side no leaks. On the hot side coming from the water heater a very small drip and where the cpvc connects to the hot water line a even smaller dip.
    Is this the results of over tighting or not tighting enough?
    I await your answer!
    Thank You
    Ortmanprop

Good morning and welcome to the plumbing page on AskMeHelpDesk.com,

Every plumber, (especially repair plumbers) learn early in the trade to develop a kind of sixth sense about tightening threads.
    " If I give this one more turn somthin's gonna bust/strip/crack or all three."
    If he don't develop that sense he'll have a rough time out in the field.
    Having said that, when I adapt copper to PVC I like to make the male threads copper and the female PVC,(just like you) but when going from coppper to PVC I always give a extra turn or two of Teflon Tape on the male threads.
    It sounds like you erred on the side of caution when you tightened the threads. Next time crank down a little harder. Good luck, Tom
  • Sep 11, 2005, 09:10 PM
    ortmanprop
    Cpvc
    Thank you for the advise and I was able to make the adjustment with just a couple more cranks. I cut the 1/2 inch cpvc and tighten the fittings. Then reconnected the pipes and Bingo! Job done and no leaks.

Thanks You

ortmanprop
  • Sep 12, 2005, 06:59 AM
    speedball1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ortmanprop
    Thank you for the advise and I was able to make the adjustment with just a couple more cranks. I cut the 1/2 inch cpvc and tighten the fittings. Then reconnected the pipes and Bingo! job done and no leaks.

Thanks You

ortmanprop

Glad it worked for you. If we can ever be of service again just click on back. Tom