Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Parenting (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=248)
-   -   What do you do when you take a family member in? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=295059)

• Dec 23, 2008, 02:20 AM
    rocknrollgirl19
    What do you do when you take a family member in?
    My mom couldn't take care of me and I was about to be taken away and so my aunt took me in. And when I lived with my mom I could be myself and she didn't put me down for the way that I was or for having feelings. And growing up living with my aunt and her family I began to hate myself and denied my feelings and felt alone. And before she took me in we used to go to their house a lot and they always seemed like nice people. And when she took me in this was 10 years ago I was 6 and when I first got there I didn't know what was going to happen. But I knew that they shouldn't have been taking care of me and I felt bad for having to be there so I would try not to ask for too much. And my uncle drank, and he used to put me down a lot. I was in a fragile state so I would get upset easily and then he would call me a cry baby etc. And not long after I lived there he started coming into my room at night and he molested me and this went on until I was 12. But I had told my aunt about it 3 times and each time she didn't do anything. She said not to tell anyone because then I would get taken away. But she never wanted to talk about it, each time I would bring it up she wouldn't want to hear it and kind of ignored me if I tried to go on about it. And they had 2 other kids but he never picked on them or put them down or tried to touch them in inappropriate ways. But when I would ask for something I would ask for little things like if my uncle could fix a bracelet for me, and my aunt would call me stupid as well as asking for other things like clothes. We got clothes but whatever I wanted she would put me down for, but I was a kid. And whenever we would be around people she would act as if our life was great and she was just so nice and kind. I'm not saying I should have gotten everything I ever wanted. But whenever I would try to talk about my feelings it would be for 2 minutes at the most and then my aunt wouldn't want to talk about it. We never really got hugs, we never really heard "I love you" either unless there was something sad going on. But they would always put me down because I was nice and sat in the background. But when I was in my teens and would get into trouble my aunt always says "Ya know, I didn't have to take you in. I did because I didn't want to see you go to a foster home." But yet her and her kids put me down. And the hole time growing up my uncle would always remind me that they took me in. Like they took me in but I'm so much of a problem that they can't do little things for me. He would say things like "Who takes care of you? We do." Call me crazy, stupid, cry baby, annoying, freak. But once I asked to go to a counselor she would say that I don't need to go to a counselor and that I'm dramatic. So my question would be that am I over re-acting about this, and is this healthy for this to be happening? Because our family was known for joking around a lot and being funny and my aunt thinks that because of that our family is so great.
  • Dec 23, 2008, 03:14 AM
    Jake2008
    My heart breaks for you. There is a lot of history with this family since you were six years old. Much to adapt to, and cope with.

I don't doubt that there is much you haven't said, and I respect your privacy, but you are now 16, and perhaps it is time to address some of the issues you've mentioned here.

That you seek out a counsellor, and begin to put things into perspective, and build your confidence and self-esteem, is a must. This is not a betrayal of your family, nor is there anything wrong with seeking out an impartial ear to hear you out.

That they took you in, is not an excuse to treat you badly, or abuse you. You were in a position where the alternative, foster care, seemed worse than moving in with your Aunt. But that does not give them license to abuse a child. I say them, because you did the right thing in telling your Aunt of the abuse, and she did nothing, which of course, is criminal in itself.

You are not over reacting, you are not crazy, and no matter how much joking around makes this dysfunctional family seem 'fun', there is nothing funny about abusing a child. It is not healthy, and denying the abuse won't make the problems go away.

Maybe the easiest way would be to visit your school counsellor, for a start. There are many resources in any community that you can be directed to. You aren't alone. There is help out there, and I urge you to get it.
  • Dec 23, 2008, 03:21 AM
    ieziridieir23
    Comment on Jake2008's post
    Right on the nail~ditto
  • Dec 24, 2008, 07:44 AM
    liz28

Your aunt is wrong and you need to tell someone the abuse and what your uncle did to you. You need to get out of this house. Your aunt didn't want you to tell anyone what your uncle did because she didn't want him to go to jail but that's where he belongs and your aunt should be in the cell right next to him for keeping his wrong quiet with no concerns about your feelings. That could be child endangerment.

You need to get out of this house because it's unhealthy. I agree with the above poster that you start getting help by talking to a counselor at school they could. Get the help now while your still young and I am sorry to hear what you had to go through and how you was treated. The cops can help you too.
  • Dec 24, 2008, 08:00 AM
    artlady

My dear,you are not overreacting.This so called man (?)abused you and the reason your aunt does not want to encourage counseling is because she is afraid you will tell them about the abuse.And you should tell !

I know you do not want to stir up trouble for them but it seems to me they have brought this on themselves.It does not matter that the abuse is no longer happening.It did happen and what that can do to a young women emotionally can affect you for the rest of your life.

Counseling will help you to sort out the issue and help you to understand that you are not to blame and you never have been!

You can seek counseling on your own,you do not need their permission now that you are 16.

Please speak to an adult you can trust and get the help you deserve.

If you need to talk,we are here to listen.

Stay strong my dear and know that you deserve the best in this life!!
  • Dec 24, 2008, 09:58 AM
    tolerance

Everyone is right. Go and talk to someone you can trust.

When I was a cop I hated to hear about crimes against kids and people in jail hate it too and these people will get treated in the worst way by the other people in jail.

Sorry to said this, but I think you know this, your aunt doesn't care about you and in the end she will what is coming to you because of the way she treated you. I dislike people like her and then in the end she thinks she did you a favor by taking you in and you should be grateful for that. How sad is she.

Do you still see your mom?

Again talk to someone and I wish you the best and sorry about your childhood.
  • Dec 25, 2008, 09:00 AM
    rocknrollgirl19
    Yeah, I still see my mom
  • Dec 25, 2008, 10:50 AM
    liz28

Does your mom knows how your aunt treats you and knows about what your uncle did to you?

Besides talking how is your relationship with her? Can you go back and live with her?
  • Dec 25, 2008, 11:57 AM
    talaniman

Is there a teacher, or female coach, or counselor, at school that you trust. I think you should be talking to someone.