Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (
-   Other Money & Services (
-   -   Child Support Issues (

  • Feb 8, 2006, 09:11 AM
    Child Support Issues
    My live-in boyfriend (of 5 years) and I have a baby. He also has two teens that he pays child support to (25% of his income). He also has to travel to another state every other weekend to see them, which is very expensive. We are really struggling to make it. Meanwhile, his ex makes over $250,000, just built a big new house, pool, etc.. I know he is responsible for helping to take care of his children and I want that too, but is there a way to get his child support payments reduced so we that can actually make it without struggling every month just to pay the bills? The case is based in Texas where the CS payment percentages are mandatory and we can not afford to hire a lawyer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • Feb 8, 2006, 01:46 PM
    I am sorry, often child support does not appear fair and in some cases it is hard to understand.

    I do not know of a way to reduce it, since it is a required amount (percentage) to be paid.

    If the ex would agree to it, perhaps they could be a way around it. But only a good local attorney would know what your local judges have allowed in previous cases.
  • Feb 18, 2006, 07:39 PM
    I assume that you are working full-time, too?

    It is rough- child support payments, alimony payments, etc- but then he is their father, and he knew how much he was paying at the time the two of you chose to have a baby. On the good side, if they are teenagers, then soon they will be 18 and child support will stop.

    If it is too financially disabling to travel every other weekend, then he may have to limit travel to one weekend a month, and get a part-time job for the other weekends.

    As you have described her, I doubt the ex-wife will be willing to decrease payments on her own.
  • Feb 19, 2006, 08:12 AM
    Hi, SadButTrue,
    You can't afford NOT to hire a lawyer, to check this out for you.
    Without a lawyer, the chances of having any changes made in child support, etc, are slim and none.
    I do wish you the best, and good luck.
  • Oct 15, 2007, 11:21 AM
    I have similar problems right now. My current girlfrind is having a baby, meanwhle I already have 2 other support orders in place. I intend for my current girlfriend to ask for a ridiculously large sum of child support (I will agree) to which in turn I can submit to the other state courts asking for a reduction based on the new support order. My ex does not need the money either, she is only bleeding me out of spite from the separation. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether ot not we can still get married.

  • All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:37 PM.