Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Other Health & Wellness (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Where/how can I get a completely voluntary hair strand drug testing done? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=627394)

• Jan 13, 2012, 08:11 AM
    SmilingInside
    Where/how can I get a completely voluntary hair strand drug testing done?
    I'm NOT in legal trouble, I'm not oredered to do this, I want it done or other resons. Obviously, I'm willing to pay for it on my own, no matter the cost (well, within reason)...

I also realize there is a 'chain of custody' for matteres such as drug tests, and that I'd need to see autorized personnel to get thins done. But where? How do I find this? I s this something I can ask any general medical practitioner, or my regular doctor? I want it to be legal, recognized by any professional and the courts (if necesary). I'm a litle leery of having my regular doctor doing it ecause I don't want him to make unfounded but harmful ideas about me.

I live in a very rural area, so that lends to my fears. Any help appreciated.

What is the cost of having this done, for my own edificaton?
  • Jan 13, 2012, 08:27 AM
    DrBill100
    You can contact any testing laboratory and 1) they can send a kit directly to you, or 2) you can make arrangements to go to a collection center where the sample would be collected.

Chain of custody usually isn't followed in non-forensic tests. If there is a specific reason for your testing be certain to explain that in detail.

The cost will vary by lab and will also depend on the extent of the test.
  • Jan 13, 2012, 08:38 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    Agree, there is no such thing as "chain of custody" unless this is a police or court matter. Chain of custody is a legal term showing that the evidence ( hair, test results) were always under proper control and supervision.

You can find and use any testing lab, as noted above
  • Jan 13, 2012, 08:44 AM
    SmilingInside
    Do you have any tessting facilities, or were I can look for one, as I sid I'm in a rural area and I haven't had any luck finind one. The only providers here are throug probation and such, which I am not involved in.
  • Jan 13, 2012, 09:03 AM
    DrBill100
    The key is finding one with a collection site closest to you. That generally involves one of the national labs. It would be unusual to find a collection center outside of an urban setting. While I can't recommend a specific provider, following are four (4) nationwide providers:

Quest Diagnostics
    Redwood Toxicology
    United States Drug Testing Lab (USDTL)
    LabCorp

By searching "Hair Drug Test" in combination with any of these names you can begin to find your nearest provider.
  • Jan 16, 2012, 09:30 AM
    SmilingInside
    Thanks for the responses, but the facilities listed are out of my reach. There's no way I can get a local doctor to take the sample and send it off to be tested? It's VERY imortant.
  • Jan 16, 2012, 09:32 AM
    SmilingInside
    Dr Bill, my apologies, I didn't see your response, I will check into it.
  • Jan 16, 2012, 09:40 AM
    SmilingInside
    SO, there is no local hair testing facilities anywhere near me. There's no way I can have a doctor take the sample and send it off to be tested?
  • Jan 16, 2012, 12:20 PM
    Fr_Chuck
    I am not sure how you are having trouble finding anything.

I found a dozen online firms that do it by mail. They send you a pack to have it mailed. By doing a simple web search

Here is one.

Hair Drug Screening Test

Hair Drug Test Kit Follicle
  • Jan 16, 2012, 12:54 PM
    DrBill100
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SmilingInside View Post
    SO, there is no local hair testing facilities anywhere near me. There's no way I can have a doctor take the sample and send it off to be tested?

You would have to find a doctor that has at least minimal experience with labs and hair testing. The hair must be properly packaged so that the ends remain directionally aligned... root ends to one end of the package. That requires that the doctor have the packets furnished by the lab and follow recommended protocol in obtaining sample.

I assume you are looking for a third-party to do the sampling so that it can be verified as to source?