Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   The Lounge (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=488)
-   -   I'd like some opinions (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=564787)

• Mar 23, 2011, 08:28 PM
    binx44
    I'd like some opinions
    I've worked on a web site for hours, well actually pretty much all day and some of yesterday. It's a free based site (webs.com) and now that I'm going to shut down the computer for tonight I'd like some opinions. I like the layout and stuff, but I'm a bit biased I think because its my own work. Its not done, the faq's aren't done. If anyone has any advice or faq's I could add please let me know

The site is

www.valley-alapahas.webs.com

There we go, fixed the url. Had an ' that shouldn't be there I apologise
  • Mar 23, 2011, 08:30 PM
    J_9

Is that the direct link? I can't get to it. I get a message saying "server not found."
  • Mar 23, 2011, 08:31 PM
    binx44

OOOPS. There's not supposed to be an ' in it... I'm sorry

Its Home - Valley Alapahas
  • Mar 23, 2011, 08:33 PM
    J_9

I like it. Very nice!
  • Mar 23, 2011, 08:33 PM
    binx44

I wanted it to be straight forward and not complicated. I hope I succeeded in that
  • Mar 23, 2011, 08:36 PM
    J_9

You did. For a free site it's very nice!
  • Mar 23, 2011, 08:36 PM
    Wondergirl

The photo at the top is very, very dark.
  • Mar 23, 2011, 08:37 PM
    binx44

Wonder, do you mean the forest photo with the path through it?
  • Mar 23, 2011, 08:44 PM
    Wondergirl

Yes, that photo.

Otherwise, it looks good.
  • Mar 23, 2011, 08:48 PM
    Fr_Chuck

Yes, the top photo looks like dark trees at night, I do not see a path at all, just shaddows in a dark background.

And I can make it larger of course, but the print for me was hard to read at its current size on the first page
  • Mar 23, 2011, 08:55 PM
    binx44

I was thinking on making the font larger, my mother commented on that also. I don't know if I can make the photo lighter yet
  • Mar 24, 2011, 01:02 PM
    cdad

You can grab the photo and lighten it in any number of picture programs then reupload it.
  • Mar 24, 2011, 01:32 PM
    Cat1864

It is looking very good.

The pic at the top of the page has already been covered.

The only other thing I could suggest might be to break up the description a bit more.

Are you going to discuss what agencies/clubs register the breed?
  • Mar 24, 2011, 05:42 PM
    binx44

I meant to *slaps forehead* I can't believe I forgot that. Thank you cat. And thank you for the advice on breaking up the description. I have a tendency to start typing then forget to space things apart for people since not everyone reads like I do.

You guys are all great for the advice end of things.
    I expanded the FAQ more, made the font bigger on the first page.

I need to include registries, break up the description to make it easier for people

I'd love some more faq questions. Does anyone have any?
  • Mar 24, 2011, 05:47 PM
    cdad

I can see at least 3 questions that have been missed.

1) How do I submit a testimonial.

That way you have clear guidelines and a link pointing to it.

2) How do I submit a photo.

Again clear guidelines on what is acceptable.

3) Site guidelines.

If someone is allowed to post to your site then your going to need those.
  • Mar 24, 2011, 05:48 PM
    Wondergirl

I see a number of grammar (sentence structure, phrasing, etc.) errors. :eek:
  • Mar 24, 2011, 05:53 PM
    binx44

Thank you.. and wonder... PLEASE point them out to me.. I've got no one on hand to proofread for me
  • Mar 24, 2011, 06:03 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by binx44 View Post
    thank you.. and wonder... PLEASE point them out to me.. i've got no one on hand to proofread for me

Here's the first paragraph --

The [o]rigin of this breed is under some controversy[.] A few breeders have [omit each] come up with a story claiming to be the only people breeding the true Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog. [Because of] this controversy[,] we all can agree on one thing for sure[--]that the Alapaha is a versatile unique breed of bulldog. The Alapaha has a very distinct type, though some characteristics vary from breeder to breeder. The most common story of the origin of this breed of bulldog is the Lane breeding program. [This program] originated in the 1800[omit ']s[.] [Its] intention was to protect the old "plantation dog" [of] the Southern United States ([breed's origin:] Southern Georgia) from going extinct[.] [omit , This breed originated in the Alapaha river region of Southern Georgia.]
  • Mar 24, 2011, 08:55 PM
    martinizing2

I would maybe include a note on if they are expensive too purchase , and the ease of finding reputable breeders.

I enjoyed learning about these dogs , I have not heard of them until now.
    Good job.
  • Mar 25, 2011, 03:31 AM
    binx44

Thanks wonder. :D you're a sweetheart.

Martinizing. I never thought about that. I paid 2k for my pup :S but they do drop as low as 900 in some places.
    Feel free to take a look at my photo album, I've got a few pictures of him up. Though there are also some on the site. I'm glad you enjoyed learning about them. Thank you
  • Mar 26, 2011, 12:26 AM
    shazamataz

Looks good Binx.

The photo is showing up fine on my laptop, but my screen is very bright.

I love the FAQ page, very well thought out.
  • Mar 27, 2011, 07:29 PM
    binx44

Thank you shaz. I planned on working on it more this weekend, but instead I went out and spent the weekend with my boyfriend. We took ryu to the beach. (pictures posted on fb) so I plan on getting back to working on the website more Tuesday, (ive got to paint a wall for my aunt, she has cancer and is too sick to do it herself :( )
  • Mar 29, 2011, 02:38 PM
    binx44

Some changes have been made to the website, some FAQ's added. Just thought I'd let you all know
  • Mar 29, 2011, 02:45 PM
    cdad

Gald you added how to use the site as it will encourage others.

One tiny problem. Maybe either make a link directly to your email in those spots or make the email at location page larger so its easier to pick out. Just a suggestion.
  • Mar 29, 2011, 03:01 PM
    Wondergirl

More editing --

These bulldogs were selected for performance and resistance to harsh working conditions. It is most probable that the breed[']s gene pool contains a mixture of indigenous dogs (curs), and the dogs that came with each successive invader (the Spanish and [F]rench mastiffs and other bulldogs)[.]

Another [v]ersion of the history of the Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog is that its origins are in the recently extinct breed of bulldog called the Mountain Bulldog. These dogs were first brought to America in the 18th [c]entury. This breed of bulldog was continuously bred for utility and stamina[,] unlike their "English" [counterparts], [w]hether it [was for] guard work, farm work[,] or as a family companion. Being bulldogs of mostly European [descent,] they were not well suited to the warmer climates of the south and were crossed with cur-like dogs.
    The cur-type dogs they used are believed to be the result of crosses themselves. Between breeds like Spanish Mastiff-type [w]ar dogs, [t]he Great Dane, and generic Indian curs (such as the Catahoula red-wolf) which roamed the American South[This previous phrase is only part of a sentence -- what does it belong to?] Farmers and ranchers used these Cur/Bulldog dogs for hunting wild cattle, feral hogs, bears[,] and coons [in addition to using them for] protection and family pets.
  • Mar 30, 2011, 06:47 AM
    martinizing2
    Quote:

Martinizing. i never thought about that. i paid 2k for my pup :S but they do drop as low as 900 in some places.
    feel free to take a look at my photo album, i've got a few pictures of him up. though there are also some on the site. i'm glad you enjoyed learning about them. thank you

If I'd have paid 2k for a pup I would have thought about it a lot.
    I consider that to qualify as "Expensive"
    But I would bet after a few days with him I would forget about the cost and
    Start counting up the rewards.

Dogs are like that.
  • Mar 30, 2011, 06:51 AM
    shazamataz

One of mine was close to 2k, another was free (home-bred).
    My latest little munchkin was well over a thousand and I only half own him (co-owned with his breeder).

The right dog has no price.
  • Mar 30, 2011, 04:17 PM
    binx44

Thanks calif, wonder, and shazzy your right. The right dog has no price :)
  • Mar 30, 2011, 04:19 PM
    binx44

Martinizing I forgot about his price hours after seeing his face for the first time lol. I got to see him 2 weeks after he was born.

Wonder. Done the editing for your corrections, thank you. I also fixed the sentence which didn't seem like it fit in there, I checked my notes and realized I was missing part of the sentence
  • Mar 31, 2011, 04:14 AM
    martinizing2
    Quote:

Martinizing I forgot about his price hours after seeing his face for the first time lol. I got to see him 2 weeks after he was born.
    I can understand the "price be damned" attitude after you get them, my yorkie Muttley is priceless.
    But I may have hesitated at two grand before I had him for a while. But once I saw him it was done,
    He is too cute to resist plus his personality is amazing.