Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Interior Home Improvement (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171)
-   -   Repair wet drywall in ceiling (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=166663)

• Dec 28, 2007, 09:08 PM
    penny42164
    Repair wet drywall in ceiling
    Hi,

We have a leak in our bathroom and it was messed up the drywall ceiling downstairs. What do I need to do?

Thanks
  • Dec 28, 2007, 10:17 PM
    schwim
    Hi there Penny,

If it's not begun to sag, you can try heating it(with some halogens or a heat gun), although be very careful and don't leave it unattended!

Drywall doesn't handle moisture well, so chances are good that you might end up with a pile of gypsum on your floor directly below the leak ;)

If that's the case, then you can patch just the damaged area. Cut to the midline of each joist for your patch if the damaged area is large. If it's a very small area, you can usually get away with a small square. Either way you handle it, be sure to fasten it well by cutting dead wood(1X4 works well) and make a lip all the way around the opening by fastening the 1X4 around the perimeter of the opening with about 1 1/2" extending from the edge of the opening. Then cut your replacement piece to fit, fasten, tape & mud.

What texture you have (if any) will dictate what you do next.

I strongly urge you not to use a quick patch on your ceiling, as walking above causes enough flex and movement to pop them lose after all of your hard work.

thanks,
    json
  • Dec 29, 2007, 11:44 PM
    Clough
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schwim
    Hi there Penny,

If it's not begun to sag, you can try heating it(with some halogens or a heat gun), although be very careful and don't leave it unattended!

Drywall doesn't handle moisture well, so chances are good that you might end up with a pile of gypsum on your floor directly below the leak ;)

If that's the case, then you can patch just the damaged area. Cut to the midline of each joist for your patch if the damaged area is large. If it's a very small area, you can usually get away with a small square. Either way you handle it, be sure to fasten it well by cutting dead wood(1X4 works well) and make a lip all the way around the opening by fastening the 1X4 around the perimeter of the opening with about 1 1/2" extending from the edge of the opening. Then cut your replacement piece to fit, fasten, tape & mud.

What texture you have (if any) will dictate what you do next.

I strongly urge you not to use a quick patch on your ceiling, as walking above causes enough flex and movement to pop them lose after all of your hard work.

thanks,
    json

Good advice above! I just want to add, that I would also recommend fastening any drywall to a ceiling using drywall screws and not nails.
  • Dec 30, 2007, 08:30 AM
    schwim
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Clough
    Good advice above! I just want to add, that I would also recommend fastening any drywall to a ceiling using drywall screws and not nails.

Without a doubt and sorry for not mentioning it. I don't even uses nails on new installs. Definitely don't try to use nails on a repair into deadwood!

Thanks,
    Json
  • Dec 30, 2007, 10:24 AM
    ballengerb1
    Well you got great advice for two folks who know how to repair drywall. Here is a slightly different view. If your drywall has been wet/damp for more than 36 hours you have mold starting to grow. Do not try to salvage this drywall and just jump ahead to proper replacement techniques. If this is like most bathrooms a total tear out isn't too much more difficult than trying to splice a patch.