Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Holidays & Observances (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   What was martin luther king's greatest contribution? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=436437)

• Jan 18, 2010, 11:46 AM
    rpray2007
    What was martin luther king's greatest contribution?
    As we celebrate MLK Day, it would be great to get people's thoughts on what you believe were Martin Luther King's greatest contribution.

What does he mean to you and how have you learned from his work or words?
  • Jan 18, 2010, 12:18 PM
    Clough
    Hi, rpray2007!

Well, the promotion for and working towards the enactment of certain civil rights would be a couple of things.

Growing up, what I learned from him was tolerance and an appreciation for others who might be different from myself, in one way or another.

Thanks!
  • Jan 18, 2010, 08:30 PM
    Fr_Chuck

His anti violence teachings for equal rights. He always wanted equality, nothing more.

His I have a dreal speech, is one of the most mis-used and somewhat mis quoted in what he was saying.

His leadership in the bus strike in AL after the NAACP started the boycott
  • Jan 18, 2010, 08:52 PM
    Wondergirl

To not give up on your dream, and meanwhile do what you can to make it happen.
  • Jan 19, 2010, 09:12 PM
    Kitkat22

Martin Luther King Jr. was a wonderful man who fought for equal rights for black american people. I will never forget his, "I have a Dream", speech. It still moves me to tears. I think he made us aware that God doesn't see race or color or whether someone is rich or poor. We are all God's children..
  • Jan 19, 2010, 09:27 PM
    Kitkat22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    Martin Luther King Jr. was a wonderful man who fought for equal rights for black american people. I will never forget his, "I have a Dream", speech. It still moves me to tears. I think he made us aware that God doesn't see race or color or whether someone is rich or poor. We are all God's children..

"The Ultimate measure of a man is not where he stand in times of comfort and convenience but where he stands in times of inconvenience and controversy. MLK:)
  • Apr 11, 2010, 06:01 PM
    Just Dahlia

EDIT: I'm late, but just found this Holiday thread. I Bastille Day coming soon?

He was a wonderful Man and still lives on with memories.
    My brain can not comprehend the difference between colors, it never has. I still find it hard to believe today the things that went on and still go on, just because of race or religion. It just doesn't make sense to me.

If I want to 'hate' (powerful word) you, it will be because of what you have done, not because of who or what color you are, and the same for 'Love':)

I like then love at first, people earn my dislike or hatred.
  • Apr 11, 2010, 06:03 PM
    Kitkat22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    He was a wonderful Man and still lives on with memories.
    My brain can not comprehend the difference between colors, it never has. I still find it hard to believe today the things that went on and still go on, just because of race or religion. It just doesn't make sense to me.

If I want to 'hate' (powerful word) you, it will be because of what you have done, not because of who or what color you are, and the same for 'Love':)

I like then love at first, people earn my dislike or hatred.

He was a man with the courage to stand up and fight for people.:)
  • Apr 11, 2010, 06:41 PM
    Fr_Chuck

Since this thread started on his "greatest", it is the hope and how he inspired millions.

That is his real greatest thing
  • Apr 11, 2010, 06:44 PM
    Kitkat22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    since this thread started on his "greatest", it is the hope and how he inspired millions.

that is his real greatest thing

Very true.. I still cry when I happen to hear his speech.. "I Have a Dream".