Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (
-   Further Education (
-   -   Life experience degrees (

  • Jan 26, 2007, 07:29 AM
    Life experience degrees
    I have an earned masters degree and have completed all of my coursework for a doctorate. Are there ANY ACCREDITED collegs or universities that will VERIFY my transcripts and resume information and award a doctorate?
  • Jan 26, 2007, 07:36 AM
    My first question is why hasn't the university where you were taking your doctorate coursework given you a degree?

    A doctorate program is really serious, and most schools will transfer in much of your coursework if it was taken at an accredited college... but before just handing you a degree, they want you in courses at their school so they can determine if you are truly ready for your degree.

    I know more about undergraduate requirements than doctoral requirements... but you should check with a local doctoral program to see what their requirements are. Most schools differ... but I think they are all going to ask you why, if you've completed the coursework, you can not get your doctorate from the school where you took the coursework.
  • Feb 28, 2007, 11:03 PM
    Most doctoral programs include a heavy emphasis on the research component of the dissertation as an assessment of extensive learning in a specific discipline. I know of no accredited programs that would issue a doctorate degree based on work from another institution. It would also be highly unlikely for a doctoral program to recognize prior work/life experience in its evaluation of your credentials. At best you might be able to receive an ABD certification from your institution to designate the completion of your course work without the dissertation.

  • All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:13 AM.