Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Family Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Relinquishing parental rights and child support in Florida (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=486705)

• Jul 9, 2010, 06:08 AM
    aiyasyn
    Relinquishing parental rights and child support in Florida
    Our son-in-law does not want to pay child support. They live in Florida and he has told our daughter that he is filing or has filed paper to relinquish his rights to the three children. Will he get away with not paying support?
  • Jul 9, 2010, 06:19 AM
    JudyKayTee

He can't relinquish his rights under these circumstances and, yes, if she files for child support he will be forced to pay.

You can't walk away from your children.

This is a legal question, not a question about raising children, and I have asked that it be moved.
  • Jul 9, 2010, 09:43 AM
    ScottGem

As noted, please browse the forums carefully before posting. Each forum may have guidelines for its use or be more appropriate for different types of questions.

Your son-in-law doesn't know what he's talking about. He cannot relinquish his rights. There is a sticky note at the top of this forum that deals with this frequently asked question. Only a court can terminate rates and they will not do so just to allow him not to pay support.

Has your daughter filed for custody and support yet?

Note: Please use the Answer This Question options at the bottom to post followups.
  • Jul 9, 2010, 01:20 PM
    Trying2doRight
    I have had a friend that asked her father of her daughter to sign over his rights, and it was simple
  • Jul 9, 2010, 01:44 PM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Trying2doRight View Post
    I have had a friend that asked her father of her daughter to sign over his rights, and it was simple

I'd like to know more about this because I went to law school and was told this was almost impossible.

Could you post your friend's situation and Court experience with this issue? Maybe there were special circumstances - ?
  • Jul 9, 2010, 02:17 PM
    cdad
    Quote:

Also there may be confusion here too with the terms. For some people "rights" means legal or custodial. Where responsibilities can not be signed away so easily. In law rights is for the total package. As when someone adopts.
  • Jul 9, 2010, 06:56 PM
    ScottGem
    Quote:

This is an example of where it is dangerous to give advice based on one instance where you are not sure of all the details.

Yes, your friend may have asked the father to sign a paper. But if that paper was not approved by a court it would have no value. And a court would NOT approve it. Or they may have been extenuating circumstances like a step father adoption.

The fact is that only a court can terminate parental rights and they do so only in specific cases.