Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (
-   Family Law (
-   -   Adding Father to Birth Certificate (

  • Nov 16, 2008, 11:26 AM
    Adding Father to Birth Certificate
    I need to add my son's father to his birth certificate. My son is 14 years old now and his dad pay's child support on him. We all acknowledge that this man is his biological father. There is no question about that. When I gave birth to him we weren't married and I was on Medicaid. The hospital told me since I was on Medicaid and we weren't married that his name could not be listed as father.{Even though we had been married before and our last names were the same). He is on my oldest child's birth certificate. So, here is my dilemma. My children are Native American and because of this they get benefit checks twice a year for this. My son doesn't because they say his dad has to be listed on the birth certificate;even though we all admit he's the dad... even him. How do I go about getting this done. We live in 2 different states and I want my son to get all the rights he's entitled to same as his sister.

    Any help would be great... :confused:

  • Nov 16, 2008, 02:05 PM

    You will have to use a court approved DNA lab and prove he is the father.

    And actually that should be enough. But after that you will have to petition the court to admend the birth certificate.

  • All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:37 PM.