Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (
-   Electrical & Lighting (
-   -   Replacing a 240 volt outlet with a 120 volt oulet (

  • May 15, 2006, 06:38 AM
    Replacing a 240 volt outlet with a 120 volt oulet
    We've switched to a central air conditioning system and no longer need the 240 volt outlet by the dining room window. The house was built in 1928, updated in 1957, and again a couple of ad hoc times thereafter. The wiring is at times very old, brand new or somewhat old. My guess is that the 240 volt outlet I'm trying to replace was installed in the 60's. I'd like to make this outlet a 120 volt outlet so we can use our traditional electronics. I've read on this list a couple of ways to go from 120 to 240, but not specifically the other way around. Is there a safe way for a home owner to do this?

  • May 15, 2006, 11:28 AM
    This can be done by replacing the 2 pole circuit breaker feeding this outlet to with a single pole, the wire left over needs to be identified as a neutral by coloring it white at both ends, and connecting to the neutral bar, and the outlet needs to be replaced with a standard 120 volt receptacle.

    This will require you to open the circuit breaker panel. Unless you are comfortable working in a live panel, you will need a qualified electrician to do this. Check around with local contractors, this should not cost more than a service call, plus the parts.

    May be good to have an electrician look at your wiring, judging by your explanation of the wiring.

  • All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:03 AM.