Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Electrical & Lighting (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   How many lights on single pole switch (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=226595)

• Jun 13, 2008, 05:21 PM
    blacktalon
    How many lights on single pole switch
    I am planning to install 2 ceiling fans and 2 lights which will be operated from a single pole switch. The switch in question operated 1 light which has been replaced with a 2 light fixture. The ceiling fans will seldom be ran at the same time with the lights. Will this be too much for a single pole switch? If not, what would be the proper method of wiring these together?
    Thanks
    Blacktalon:)
  • Jun 13, 2008, 06:44 PM
    WallyHelps
    I would be willing to bet that a single-pole switch would be good for at least 15 amps.
    A 100 watt light bulb draws about 1 amp, so you'd have 13 amps left for the 2 ceiling fans, which should be more than enough.

Hope this helps,
    WallyH
  • Jun 13, 2008, 07:44 PM
    blacktalon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WallyHelps
    I would be willing to bet that a single-pole switch would be good for at least 15 amps.
    A 100 watt light bulb draws about 1 amp, so you'd have 13 amps left for the 2 ceiling fans, which should be more than enough.

Hope this helps,
    WallyH

Thanks, I installed a new junction box and have wires from both fans, both lights, and the wires coming from the switch. Do I wire all the blacks together and all the whites together?
  • Jun 13, 2008, 07:51 PM
    Washington1
    Wallyhelps,

What it the single pole switch is on a 20A circuit?

Black,

generally speaking you should be fine.
  • Jun 14, 2008, 06:30 AM
    WallyHelps
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blacktalon
    Thanks, I installed a new junction box and have wires from both fans, both lights, and the wires coming from the switch. Do I wire all the blacks together and all the whites together?

Yes, if you want the lights and fan to all come on together. Obviously, the black wire that is always hot goes to one side of your switch and what I'd do is put a "pigtail" (short black wire) on the other side of the switch which then connects to the bundle of black wires from the fans and lights. See my drawing. You can't really put a lot of wires under the screw on a switch.

Good luck!
    WallyH

To washington: Generally, light circuits are 15 amp. If it is a 20 amp circuit, it should have a 20 amp switch. Just didn't think that was likely.
  • Jun 14, 2008, 08:17 AM
    blacktalon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WallyHelps
    Yes, if you want the lights and fan to all come on together. Obviously, the black wire that is always hot goes to one side of your switch and what I'd do is put a "pigtail" (short black wire) on the other side of the switch which then connects to the bundle of black wires from the fans and lights. See my drawing. You can't really put a lot of wires under the screw on a switch.

Good luck!
    WallyH

To washington: Generally, light circuits are 15 amp. If it is a 20 amp circuit, it should have a 20 amp switch. Just didn't think that was likely.

Thanks again Wally, what I have is an existing 12-2 coming from the switch through the outside wall that was attached to an outside porch light. I removed the old light and replaced with a new one which has a junction box incorporated into the fixture. I ran a 12-2 wire to each of the fan locations with the ends of each ceiling fan wire extending through the junction box. Also, the wires from the lights and the power wire are in the box. This makes a total of 4 black and 4 white not counting the power wire coming from the switch. If I understand you correctly it would be all right to tie all 5 whites together and all 5 blacks together. I realize it will always be hot when switch is on but the fans can easily be turned off with the pull switches, right?
  • Jun 14, 2008, 01:04 PM
    Washington1
    Quote:

Wally said: To washington: Generally, light circuits are 15 amp. If it is a 20 amp circuit, it should have a 20 amp switch. Just didn't think that was likely.

Not true!

A 15A rated switch can be on a 20A circuit. Yet, the switch should be rated for the load. Your initial post was more correct.
  • Jun 14, 2008, 07:12 PM
    WallyHelps
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blacktalon
    Thanks again Wally, what I have is an existing 12-2 coming from the switch through the outside wall that was attached to an outside porch light. I removed the old light and replaced with a new one which has a junction box incorporated into the fixture. I ran a 12-2 wire to each of the fan locations with the ends of each ceiling fan wire extending through the junction box. Also, the wires from the lights and the power wire are in the box. This makes a total of 4 black and 4 white not counting the power wire coming from the switch. If I understand you correctly it would be alright to tie all 5 whites together and all 5 blacks together. I realize it will always be hot when switch is on but the fans can easily be turned off with the pull switches, right?

Ah, I see what you are talking about now.
    Yes, you'll hook all the blacks together and all the whites together. With 12 gauge wire, you'll need some large wire nuts. You'll be able to use the pull switch on each fan to control it, as you say.

Good luck,
    WallyH