Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Dogs (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   When should I feed my dog adult dog food? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=75030)

• Mar 22, 2007, 10:36 PM
    rasco847
    When should I feed my dog adult dog food?
    I have a chocolat lab that just turned 1, and I'm wondering when do I stop feeding her puppy food? Omar
  • Mar 23, 2007, 12:15 AM
    Parajr
    I have a boston terrier, and a cocker. The vet told me for both puppies to beging the adult food after they have reached 1yr old.
  • Mar 23, 2007, 03:26 AM
    labman
    Any dog that will be over 50 pounds as an adult should be switched to adult chow at 4 months. Along with keeping the dog lean, it slows growth allowing more time to develop sturdy joints. Even the large breed formulations promote fast growth at the expense of good joint structure.

This advice comes from the service dog establishment that has far more knowledge and credibility than any other source. They don't sell dog chow, they give away dogs they spent a fortune training. They can't afford to have the dogs they train to retire early because of bad hips.

It is too late for you to make the early switch to adult chow, but not for a longer life for him as a lean dog. See http://www.puppychow.com/products/po...condition.aspx Evaluate him and adjust how much you are feeding him to reach his ideal body condition.
  • Mar 23, 2007, 06:53 AM
    RubyPitbull
    I have been told by various vets that it can be anywhere from 4-6 months to switch a larger dog to adult food. Rasco, I am surprised your vet didn't say anything to you about this. But, please follow labman's suggestion and switch now. Just keep in mind, when you switch, you need to introduce the new food slowly so you don't upset his system. Start mixing a small amount of the new food with the old. Each feeding, increase the amount of the new food, and decrease the old. By the end of the week, he should be adjusted fully to the new food.
  • Mar 23, 2007, 07:12 AM
    labman
    Ruby is correct about the gradual switch. It is important any time you switch chow. From the What does a puppy need? Sticky, ''Food. Find out what the breeder is feeding. If it is dry chow you can buy readily, I would stick with it until the dog is 4 months old, at that time switching to a dry adult chow. If not, try to have the breeder give you a few days supply to use making a gradual change to a dry puppy chow.''

The word on an early switch to adult chow is slowly spreading. In 2000, nobody supported me on the issue. Unfortunately, many vets and breeders still haven't caught on. It is not a new idea, [1] Kealy, et al. "Effects of limited food consumption on the incidence of hip dysplasia in growing dogs." JAVMA, v201, n6 Sept. 15, 1992. The manufacturers have partly addressed the problem with the large breed puppy chows, but they are still too rich, reflecting the ''get big fast'' legacy of the agriculture that gives us abundant food at such a reasonable cost.
  • Mar 23, 2007, 07:19 AM
    RubyPitbull
    Quote:

Originally Posted by labman
    The word on an early switch to adult chow is slowly spreading. In 2000, nobody supported me on the issue. Unfortunately, many vets and breeders still haven't caught on. It is not a new idea, [1] Kealy, et al. "Effects of limited food consumption on the incidence of hip dysplasia in growing dogs." JAVMA, v201, n6 Sept. 15, 1992. The manufacturers have partly addressed the problem with the large breed puppy chows, but they are still too rich, reflecting the ''get big fast'' legacy of the agriculture that gives us abundant food at such a reasonable cost.

This is very interesting. I can't believe this info is 15 years old! Thank you labman. I always like to see hard data, rather than rely on anyone's advice. We can only hope, the newer (graduating) veterinarians are savvy enough and willing enough to update themselves continually, the way most medical (people) doctors do.
  • Mar 23, 2007, 05:00 PM
    rasco847
    Thanks you guys for your input. I'ma switch her food soon, though I don't think I'll have a problem she loves to eat :D