Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Dogs (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   What can I name him? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=324593)

• Mar 3, 2009, 05:15 PM
    mexcelaya
    What can I name him?
    Well I'm planning to get a pitbull puppy in the summer, but I want your opinion so I can name it, I might be getting a brown with white chest. Any good names
  • Mar 3, 2009, 05:39 PM
    tickle

The name of your dog is entirely up to you. I don't name a pet until I have him/her home with and observe the personality.
  • Mar 3, 2009, 05:40 PM
    mexcelaya

But do you have a good type of name for a pitt
  • Mar 3, 2009, 05:42 PM
    starfirefly

How about killer
  • Mar 3, 2009, 05:43 PM
    Alty

Check the link;

List of Dog Names

Good luck.
  • Mar 3, 2009, 05:44 PM
    mexcelaya

Hey man no bull**** I was thinking of that name too
  • Mar 3, 2009, 05:45 PM
    starfirefly

Is it going to be a family dog or guard type?
  • Mar 3, 2009, 05:46 PM
    mexcelaya

Nah its going to be a family type why
  • Mar 3, 2009, 05:48 PM
    starfirefly
    Well for family type you will want a softer name for it, but can I ask why you would want such a visious type dog for a family?
  • Mar 3, 2009, 05:49 PM
    smurf69

I would be tinkin "TALLI it means hero" or "PRIMO it means first born"
  • Mar 3, 2009, 05:49 PM
    Alty
    Quote:

Originally Posted by starfirefly View Post
    is it going to be a family dog or guard type?

A pitbull as a guard dog? Bad idea, very bad idea!

OP - I really am hoping this is just a family dog. As for the name Killer, if you decide to go with that let's hope he doesn't live up to his name. Also, why would you even consider that name for a pitbull? That breed has a bad enough reputation without adding more.

Keep in mind also that pitbulls are not for novice pet owners, they require an experienced hand, not someone who's never owned and cared for a dog in their life.

This is not a status symbol, it's a living breathing creature, keep that in mind because your post and other statements are beginning to worry me.
  • Mar 3, 2009, 05:51 PM
    mexcelaya

Why does every body say pitbulls r vicious dogs there not it all depends on the owner I thought primo meant cousin
  • Mar 3, 2009, 05:53 PM
    starfirefly

You I have heard that before but its not true pittbull, dalmations, rotwilers and such types of dogs can just go off at anytime, my friend had half her nose ripped off by a family dog (pittbull) there is a group of people in my city trying to get them outlawed
  • Mar 3, 2009, 05:56 PM
    mexcelaya

See that's what I'm saying pitbull's are good dogs if you know how to treat them the way they are sopose to be treated
    Silverfoxkit

Quote:

well for family type you will want a softer name for it, but can I ask why you would want such a visious type dog for a family?
    Pitt bulls can be wonderful family dogs, if raised and trained appropriately and obtained through a reputable breeder. You are going to want to get a feel for the parents temperament so you can have an idea of how your puppy may be when it is older. Pitt bulls are not for those who do not strive to have a well trained dog, or for those who wish to have a status symbol. Sadly this "Viscous" ignorant concept of every single pitt bull will be something you will have to deal with often, so if you do not wish to make your dog seem like a "killer", then do not give a name that would suggest anything along those lines.
    smurf69

Nope primo can mean first or highest or best in its class and so on. When you use it as a name it means first born. I have a rothweiler and at his worst he would lick you to death ha ha its all how a dog is raised if you ask me
    starfirefly
    You if they don't just freak out and attack without warning
  • Mar 3, 2009, 06:00 PM
    Silverfoxkit

Speaking of heartless idiots and BSL laws, you might want to check on the laws in your area concerning these breeds before bringing home the puppy.
    mexcelaya

OK so what's a good name for a family pitbull
    Alty

Where I live you have to have a speical license to own a pitbull which is around $800/year, you have to take training classes, the cops visit your home to determine if you are capable to adopt one of these breeds.

Yes, the have a bad rep because when they do attack they cause a lot of damage or even death, any dog can do that, but pitbulls have sadly gotten a bad rep.

You really cannot be a novice owner with a pitbull, the first time owner is better suited to a lab, a poodle, somethig easy. Pits need an experienced hand.
  • Mar 3, 2009, 06:01 PM
    starfirefly

How about cocoa
  • Mar 3, 2009, 06:02 PM
    Silverfoxkit
    My brother in laws has had several Pitt bulls, One of my favorites was an absolute sweetheart named Deuce. He wouldn't hurt a kitten and was a doll with their two small children. He looked a lot like the puppy you are describing.
  • Mar 3, 2009, 06:02 PM
    mexcelaya

I understand, but where I live you don't need a licence for the dog
  • Mar 3, 2009, 06:04 PM
    mexcelaya

OK but cocoa is a female name
  • Mar 3, 2009, 06:08 PM
    Silverfoxkit

Once again I would like to stress the importance of finding a reputable breeder. Temperament is as genetic as anything else, although many people do not realize this when they breed their dogs. Do not just get any puppy from any guy in a parking lot, for all you know they could be "game bred" puppies. To ensure a sound temperament you need to have a reputable breeder, interact with the parents, and view the living conditions of the dogs before you buy the puppy. If the person gets dodgy with answers, or refuse to let you see the parents or where they are kept, then this is a major red flag.
  • Mar 3, 2009, 06:09 PM
    Ana52408

Yeah, aren't they illegal or something? I know here in Florida I think it's illegal.

Why don't you get a smaller more playful cute dog. Idc what dog it is, I love dogs but pitt bulls are super aggressive and if there is a baby around you shouldn't get that dog. Why don't you get a cute poodle, maybe a jack russell, cocker spaniel, yorkie, shi*zu, maltese?

Pitt bulls are really good watch dogs, even though if they hurt somebody say bye bye! But for an inside family dog, why don't you get a smaller dog?

If you do end up getting a pitt bull name it something based on his personality when you meet him. If he is all hyper or something you can call him a crazy hippy name. Be creative also, that's the cutest part about naming a dog.
  • Mar 3, 2009, 06:10 PM
    mexcelaya

Honestly the only breed I like love... is pitbulls
  • Mar 3, 2009, 06:15 PM
    Silverfoxkit
    Out of the pitt bulls my brother is laws has owned there has been Zeus, Snoopy, Deuce, and Mistro. They were all very good family dogs. Most people who talk about how mean they are have had little contact with many of the dogs, and only go by what they have heard. While I do not deny that they have the potential to be dangerous, so do many other breeds. I have met dozens of loving, gentle pitt bulls. Do not let bias deter you if this is the breed you want, however do your homework first just to make sure it is in fact a right match. You should never get any breed without fully understanding them.
  • Mar 3, 2009, 06:17 PM
    mexcelaya

Yea that s why I getting it in the summer, because I'm still learning about them
  • Mar 3, 2009, 06:17 PM
    Alty

Zoe I had to spread the rep but I agree. The tempermant of the dog must fit the owner.

I like the name Snoopy, that would have been good for my beagle Chewy.

How about King, or Softie? I'm really bad at names. Did you look at the link I posted?
  • Mar 3, 2009, 06:18 PM
    Ana52408

Very Very true Silver... there is a lot of more dangerous breeds but were talking about pitt bulls here. Yeah, learn about the breed first, that is very important. ESPECIALLY about pitts!
  • Mar 3, 2009, 06:19 PM
    Wondergirl

A dog trainer once told me a short name with sharp consonants is always good -- Tut, Dot, Jedi, Ewok, Jabba, Spot, Flak, etc.
  • Mar 3, 2009, 06:21 PM
    mexcelaya

No what link?
  • Mar 3, 2009, 06:23 PM
    Alty

I have to say they are cute puppies. I like them better without their ears cropped, especially since I believe ear cropping is not necessary.

Attachment 17189

Attachment 17190

Attachment 17191
  • Mar 3, 2009, 06:24 PM
    Alty

Here's the link again. :)

List of Dog Names
  • Mar 3, 2009, 06:28 PM
    mexcelaya

Those pits are nice but I plann on getting the dogs ears cropped
  • Mar 3, 2009, 06:28 PM
    Silverfoxkit

Once again I would like to say that pitt bulls may not be as responsive for as many attacks as they have been given credit for due to misidentification. Can you find the pitt bull? Warning, this is harder then you think.

Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull

Where you aware that the pitt bull use to be the all around American family dog?

Did you know that in WWI there was a pitt bull named Stubby that was the unofficial mascot of the 102 division? He was such a hero he was awarded several medals and received the rank of sergeant.

Helen Keller, teddy Roosevelt, Mark Twain, John Steinbeck and many other famous figures all owned pitt bulls.

Remember Petey the pitt bull from the Little Rascals?

Before you say how awful these dogs are do some research first. You may find yourself surprised.
  • Mar 3, 2009, 06:31 PM
    mexcelaya

Yea I'm doing research on them most of the time
  • Mar 3, 2009, 06:39 PM
    Alty

Before deciding to crop the ears, please read the link.

Ear Cropping and Tail Docking, Pros and Cons
  • Mar 3, 2009, 07:21 PM
    mexcelaya

Yea I read it