Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Dentistry (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Temporary porcelain front crowns (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=32132)

• Aug 20, 2006, 08:59 AM
    Pumpkin729
    Temporary porcelain front crowns
    I am a newbie here. I just had three front porcelain crowns put in a few days ago. I have no idea what temps should feel or look like. They look great but feel like I have buck teeth. Behind the teeth feels like I have a chuck of bread stuck there. When I speak some of the words I pronounce sound funny especially words that begin with S and T, sound like I am stuttering. I mentioned this to the dentist and he said that the permanent porcelain teeth will not be as thick. Can anyone relate to my problem? Are all front temps like this or did my dentist just make them to big? Thanks
  • Oct 15, 2006, 09:12 PM
    sonora
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumpkin729
    I am a newbie here. I just had three front porcelain crowns put in a few days ago. I have no idea what temps should feel or look like. They look great but feel like I have buck teeth. Behind the teeth feels like I have a chuck of bread stuck there. When I speak some of the words I pronounce sound funny especially words that begin with S and T, sound like I am stuttering. I mentioned this to the dentist and he said that the permanent porcelain teeth will not be as thick. Can anyone relate to my problem? Are all front temps like this or did my dentist just make them to big? Thanks

I have the same problem. I am a first time receiver of "temporaries" for crowns on my upper 2 front teeth. Like you, they look good but feel like I have totally buck teeth! I don't sound like I am stuttering when I speak but some words sound like I am lisping! I am afraid that the same mould was used to make the permanent porcelains and that they will feel the same?! Can anyone give me advice??
  • Oct 15, 2006, 09:28 PM
    renee78
    Temporaries are in their nature "temporary" and in no way reflect what the actual crowns will look, or feel like. Most temp crowns are made from acrylic, whereas the actual crowns are constructed from porcelain or ceramic. And no, the moulds are not the same. If you are lisping, it may be a case of shortening the temps slightly. The bulkiness you refer to is normal, as it does take a little while to get used to them, but rest assured you will adapt, we humans have an uncanny knack of doing that! In summary, your actual crowns will in no way resmble the temps, look at it this way, if they looked as good as the real thing, they wouldn't be temporary!
  • Mar 1, 2009, 04:20 PM
    lazurm

In my odd and narrow opinion, I think you are super lucky. I can only wish to be in your position, to feel like I have buck teeth. In fact, I actually wish I had buck teeth, the kind that stick out over my bottom lip even when my mouth is closed. I think they're so sexy, visually and by the way they'd feel.
    It really does take all kinds...
  • Mar 1, 2009, 06:33 PM
    flossie

Please note the date of the original post before replying.