Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Current Events (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=486)
-   -   So have you taken the plundge ?? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=814671)

• Jul 29, 2015, 02:09 PM
    Curlyben
    So have you taken the plundge ??
    Today is Windows 10 day.
    Have you upgraded yet ?

Windows 10 launch is a 'new era', says Microsoft boss - BBC News

Microsoft download tool

Rory gets a Windows 10 crash course - BBC News
  • Jul 29, 2015, 03:02 PM
    joypulv
    Mine wanted to install about 2 hours ago
  • Jul 29, 2015, 03:03 PM
    Curlyben
    ANYTHING is an improvement over Windblowz 8 ;)
  • Jul 29, 2015, 03:23 PM
    Catsmine
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post

What he said
  • Jul 29, 2015, 03:42 PM
    paraclete
    No I only have windows 8 on a tablet and I will wait until I can connect wifi but there is no hurry. If it is good for Microsoft it may not be good for me
  • Jul 30, 2015, 04:50 AM
    Catsmine
    Word of warning. The new browser apparently does not transfer your "favorites" settings.
  • Jul 30, 2015, 05:56 AM
    tomder55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post

is it ? here's hoping
  • Jul 30, 2015, 06:06 AM
    joypulv
    I'm finding it slow! I was forced to agree to an agreement I wasn't sure of, about apps and sending Microsoft data, etc.
    Now, especially Facebook Scrabble takes 3X as long 'waiting for' this and that cache or app. The only one that's mine is AdBlockPlus.

Any suggestions?
  • Jul 30, 2015, 06:30 AM
    paraclete
    As I said I'm not in a hurry I'll wait for the upgrade verson and I'm not letting Microsoft delete my software, but they can delete all that crap from windows 8 if they like
  • Jul 30, 2015, 06:34 AM
    catonsville
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Word of warning. The new browser apparently does not transfer your "favorites" settings.

Yes, and that is why I went back to Win 7 too. I was lost, did not know what to do to get things working also.

PS I also noticed that my boot up time is much longer since I downloaded Win 10.
  • Jul 30, 2015, 06:49 AM
    CravenMorhead
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post

Important to the precious few who use internet explorer for anything other then downloading firefox/opera/chrome/mosiac/lynx/safari/netscape. :-)

I am waiting for my position in the queue to come up, likely do it on Monday when I can guarantee that I won't need anything that I have installed on it.
  • Jul 30, 2015, 07:07 AM
    smoothy
    I played around with the beta version for about the last 9 months or so. Waiting for mine to ugrade as I expect in the next few days.
  • Jul 30, 2015, 09:17 AM
    joypulv
    Plan on over an hour. I fell asleep. It was 'done' because my computer was off, but when I restarted, it decided to do some more stuff for 10 minutes.
  • Jul 30, 2015, 11:11 AM
    cdad
    Havent gotten anything yet. Only the notice that I will get it. In an article I read it can take up to 2 weeks before the roll out is complete.
  • Jul 30, 2015, 12:09 PM
    talaniman
    Took me an hour too, so far,so good.
  • Jul 30, 2015, 12:17 PM
    Curlyben
    cdad, the second link will allow you to get it earlier ;)
  • Jul 30, 2015, 12:38 PM
    tickle
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Mine wanted to install about 2 hours ago

So. Did it install ? You have reservations about having 10 ?
  • Jul 30, 2015, 03:23 PM
    joypulv
    I postponed it for bedtime. Not reservations so much as caution, remembering the fateful day not many months ago when I installed 8.1!
  • Jul 30, 2015, 06:32 PM
    ScottGem
    I'm going to wait for the upgrades on each of my machines. But I plan on doing my Dell Venue 8 tab let first, Then my Samsung 2 in 1, and my desktop last.
  • Jul 31, 2015, 03:46 AM
    Catsmine
    My Win7 Toshiba laptop is not happy. Considering making a recovery disk for when the patches come out and going back to Win7. The load was fairly easy but didn't include a video player, hid the indexes, and seems to run about as fast as a 3G phone.
  • Jul 31, 2015, 05:01 AM
    ScottGem
    Use VLC for a video player!
  • Jul 31, 2015, 08:54 AM
    joypulv
    Win 10 seems to be slowing down any app such as Scrabble because of 'waiting for' various things to do with mobile that I haven't seen before... anyone have any idea how to disable anything to do with mobile?
  • Jul 31, 2015, 09:32 AM
    tomder55
    Thinking I'm going to stay with 8 for a while. I don't use a touch screen but find I don't need to use all those apps . I do all my work from Desktop
  • Jul 31, 2015, 03:22 PM
    paraclete
    I'm with you Tom why should this change be forced upon us. I don't have an internet connection so Microsoft can access my computer anytime they like
  • Jul 31, 2015, 06:52 PM
    cdad
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    I'm with you Tom why should this change be forced upon us. I don't have an internet connection so Microsoft can access my computer anytime they like

It is not by force. Its is free if you want it but you dont have to take it.
  • Jul 31, 2015, 07:31 PM
    paraclete
    Really, what updates do you think will be available for windows 7 or windows 8? This is the update and they are forcing abandonment of XP. There are businesses who have not upgraded for years because their software is not going to work on this platform. As a business I cannot afford my proprietary software to be compromised or fail to work
  • Aug 1, 2015, 06:29 AM
    ScottGem
    Para, they aren't "forcing" abandonment of XP. They just won't provide support for it. A bit of a different thing. But why should people stay with old technology? Every version of software has a shelf life. Companies can't afford to support a piece of software indefinitely and I see no reason that they should be required to. Microsoft is giving people a full year to upgrade to 10.

My boss has been running Win 10 for 2 months now. Every one of the programs we use has run without issue under Win 10. It is up to the vendors of your proprietary software to test and upgrade their software to run under new OSes.
  • Aug 1, 2015, 09:50 AM
    cdad
    I agree with Scott. Maybe what you should try para is installing it on a remote machine and running your software under it to see how it works for you before you complain about it not working.

I have had to apply a few tweaks on occasion for some software that was designed to run under Win 3.1 because I had to use it. Atleast with this all your going to lose is time because the software is free.
  • Aug 1, 2015, 06:21 PM
    paraclete
    Yes I just keep an extra machine hanging around so I can test Microsoft updates, I am fed up with the idea that it is all or nothing with Microsoft
  • Aug 2, 2015, 04:09 AM
    cdad
    Quote:

Yes I just keep an extra machine hanging around so I can test Microsoft updates, I am fed up with the idea that it is all or nothing with Microsoft

It is not all or nothing. You have a year to decide so long as your machine qualifies. All or nothig is Apple. MS has always been backward compatable since the begining.
  • Aug 2, 2015, 05:31 AM
    paraclete
    I have programs that no longer work
  • Aug 2, 2015, 05:51 AM
    talaniman
    My windows 7 has been updating regularly for years. You do have auto updates engaged on your machine don't you, Clete? I think windows 10 is an upgrade, not an update.
  • Aug 2, 2015, 12:38 PM
    cdad
    Quote:

I have programs that no longer work

What OS were they designed to run on ?
  • Aug 2, 2015, 03:23 PM
    paraclete
    Pre windows XP
  • Aug 2, 2015, 05:35 PM
    cdad
    Quote:

Pre windows XP

3.11, win 95 ??? DOS ?

Maybe we can help you with getting it running.

I had to run an old program designed under win 3.1 with a windows 7 machine and I got it running fine for what I needed.
  • Aug 2, 2015, 10:56 PM
    paraclete
    Win 95, there was a utility that converted the files in win 98 but that disappeared in vista but technology moves on my windows 8 tablet doesn't.t have a CD drive so the whole thing becomes academic as I see no point in buying an external drive for it
  • Aug 3, 2015, 05:13 AM
    ScottGem
    It is kind of wishful thinking to expect utilities built 20 years ago to work with current hardware and software. And there is no reason to buy an external drive for your tablet. You can simply connect to another machine and use their drive, or copy the contents of the drive as an ISO to a flashdrive or other PC.
  • Aug 3, 2015, 05:29 AM
    paraclete
    Yes I have tried copying on to a flashdrive, no luck. As far as utilities built a long time ago still working my copy of Quickbooks still works at least on windows 7. I prefer the way Office 2003 is designed and I don't wish to lose that facility even though I can use later versions. I'm the sort of person Microsoft wants out of the system because they make no money from me out of upgrades
  • Aug 3, 2015, 06:38 AM
    catonsville
    I tried to get to first base with Win 10 and I struck out. Has any one found "Favorites" or does one have to redo them? Is there a tutorial for Win 10? It would be nice to have a window that looks something like Win 7 I am dumb as a pile of rocks when it comes to computers.
  • Aug 3, 2015, 07:20 AM
    paraclete
    Windows 8 works off the desktop and I expect windows 10 will do the same It's okay when you get used to it but there a lot of useless apps come with it