Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Current Events (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=486)
-   -   McCain wants to delay fridays Debate. Why? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=263825)

• Sep 26, 2008, 12:16 PM
    spitvenom

Good point they are I am not up late enough to watch those shows. So Sad 30 years old in bed by 9:30 on the weeknights. Has to be done if I want to go to the gym before work.
  • Sep 26, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Merris
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ETWolverine View Post
    You guys have missed several important points.

1) The debate on Friday is about FOREIGN POLICY. Finance won't enter into it. So whoever said that McCain is afraid to face Obama over financial issues doesn't know what he is talking about.

Actually I've read that they are now planning to address the economy in addition to foreign policy because the crisis is at the forefront of everyone's minds right now. What the debates actually cover will be a mystery since now no one seems to know what the hell's going on with McCain running all over the place and causing more turmoil and instability on top of everything else that's going on and accomplishing nothing and even being rebuked by his own party for staging a ridiculous stunt to help his own poll numbers. One word: Theatrics.

After seeing Katie Couric's interview with Palin, I imagine he wanted to stall his own debate in order to stall the Vice Presidential debate to give Palin more time to prepare (which she so desperately needs-- but won't get now).

Tom-- Hud is definitely a complicating factor. Clinton and Bush both actually favored Cuomo's approach because it let them boast rising home ownership as part of their accomplishments. Hud didn't have any oversite of Fannie Mae. See no evil, probably. There are many things involved from too many houses being built and too many people buying houses they couldn't afford to banks pushing loans on people with bad credit. I think it really boils down to good ol' greed. The GLB act just sort created this top-heavy monster with all the giant banks teetering and finally falling. Not sure where you got your pelosi info... The bill was divided by party lines: GovTrack: Senate Vote On Passage: S. 900 [106th]: Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act

Capitalism without regulation leads to consolidation that is just dangerous and the small companies and average people like you and me at the bottom end up paying for the mess as we are seeing now.

As for McCain being "exonerated" that sounds like he's totally innocent which is just not the case. He used very poor judgment becoming best buds with Keating who was hit with a $1.1 billion fraud and racketeering action, filed against him by the regulators. McCain received $112,000 in political contributions from Keating and made nine trips at Keating's expense, sometimes aboard Keating's jet and sometimes to Keating's opulent Bahamas retreat at Cat Cay. McCain only paid him when he learned Keating was in trouble. From what I'm gathering, McCain is a very poor judge of character--as further demonstrated by choosing Palin. (God help us all)

McCain is only attending the debates because Obama refused to be manipulated by him and said he was going anyway and have a town hall meeting without him. Good for Obama.

McCain is all stunt and no substance. (I just penned that phrase and kind of like it!)
  • Sep 26, 2008, 03:58 PM
    BABRAM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Merris View Post
    Actually I've read that they are now planning to address the economy in addition to foreign policy because the crisis is at the forefront of everyone's minds right now. What the debates actually cover will be a mystery since now no one seems to know what the hell's going on with McCain running all over the place and causing more turmoil and instability on top of everything else that's going on and accomplishing nothing and even being rebuked by his own party for staging a ridiculous stunt to help his own poll numbers. One word: Theatrics.

After seeing Katie Couric's interview with Palin, I imagine he wanted to stall his own debate in order to stall the Vice Presidential debate to give Palin more time to prepare (which she so desperately needs-- but won't get now).

Tom-- Hud is definitely a complicating factor. Clinton and Bush both actually favored Cuomo's approach because it let them boast rising home ownership as part of their accomplishments. Hud didn't have any oversite of Fannie Mae. See no evil, prolly. There are many things involved from too many houses being built and too many people buying houses they couldn't afford to banks pushing loans on people with bad credit. I think it really boils down to good ol' greed. The GLB act just sort created this top-heavy monster with all the giant banks teetering and finally falling. Not sure where you got your pelosi info... The bill was divided by party lines: GovTrack: Senate Vote On Passage: S. 900 [106th]: Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act

Capitalism without regulation leads to consolidation that is just dangerous and the small companies and average people like you and me at the bottom end up paying for the mess as we are seeing now.

As for McCain being "exonerated" that sounds like he's totally innocent which is just not the case. He used very poor judgment becoming best buds with Keating who was hit with a $1.1 billion fraud and racketeering action, filed against him by the regulators. McCain received $112,000 in political contributions from Keating and made nine trips at Keating's expense, sometimes aboard Keating's jet and sometimes to Keating's opulent Bahamas retreat at Cat Cay. McCain only paid him when he learned Keating was in trouble. From what I'm gathering, McCain is a very poor judge of character--as further demonstrated by choosing Palin. (God help us all)

McCain is only attending the debates because Obama refused to be manipulated by him and said he was going anyway and have a town hall meeting without him. Good for Obama.

McCain is all stunt and no substance. (I just penned that phrase and kinda like it!)

BINGO!! We have another winner folks! Welcome Merris! And I'll add that the self proclaimed "maverick" McCain was found sheepishly at Dubya's table hoping to straddle the side of the fence that would help him most in the campaign, not what's best for our public. He hid under Palin's skirt for weeks. Foreign policy is supposed to be McCain's strongest subject, so he better make best of this first debate. They'll probably touch on a few other subjects as well.
  • Sep 26, 2008, 04:05 PM
    tomder55
    Merris ;you linked to the Senate vote . See the House vote ;particularily Pelosi's vote.In this case the Democrats were very complicit in passing the law.Of the Dems 151 voted aye and only 50 against.
    GovTrack: House Vote on Conference Report: S. 900 [106th]: Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act

I am not convinced anyway that G-L-B was such bad legislation . The main focus of the Gramm legislation is that it allows financial services companies to diversify their lines of business: Commercial banks can engage in investment banking, banks can offer brokerage services, and you can have an IRA at the same place you have your checking account.
    The law did not create securitization and collateralized debt obligations. It did not change the rules for banks' leverage ratios. If anything, it mitigated some risks by allowing financial companies to diversify their businesses.

Bank of America acquired Merrill Lynch;that would not have been permitted under the old rule.

I have not argued for no regulation .My argument has been that there were plenty of regulations in place but the combination of well intentioned political policy interfering in the market place;and outright corruption by the people charged with oversight allowed this situation to fester. Chris Dodd... head of Senate Banling Committee ? The guys pockets are stuffed with Countrywide and Fannie Mae cash. He should be wearing an orange jump suit.

Your argument flys in the face of the facts re:Keating.
    Bennett recommended to the Senate Ethics Committee thatMcCain be found clean but the Democrat led Senate had to make a case against him because he was the only Republican on the hook. The Senate Ethics Committee found McCain and Glenn to be the least blameworthy of the five senators. (McCain and Glenn attended the meetings but did nothing else to influence the regulators.) McCain was guilty of nothing more than "poor judgment," the committee said, and declared his actions were not "improper nor attended with gross negligence."
    Still McCain returned the $112,000 to the Treasury.

Still McCain conceeds his poor judgement in befriending Keating .He has since spent his career in the Senate dedicated to reform ;even passing laws I despise like McCain Feingold.
  • Sep 26, 2008, 04:40 PM
    BABRAM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    I have not argued for no regulation .My argument has been that there were plenty of regulations in place but the combination of well intentioned political policy interfering in the market place;and outright corruption by the people charged with oversight allowed this situation to fester. Chris Dodd ...head of Senate Banling Committee ? The guys pockets are stuffed with Countrywide and Fannie Mae cash. He should be wearing an orange jump suit.

Think Progress » McCain Adviser Phil Gramm Shaped McCain's Economic Policy While Lobbying For Foreign Bank

Well I would had gladly paid the taxes to turn the White House into a prison. At least there would be one less crook to transport. Apparently there were some loopholes, so "yes" we do need a few more well defined regulations along with oversight that doesn't include the fox being in charge of investigating the hen house. Most politicians have stuffed their pockets one way or the other. That's no revelation. The greatest issue facing this nation, "the economy," needs to addressed over and over with both Dems and Pubs held accountable.

Quote:

Still McCain conceeds his poor judgement in befriending Keating .He has since spent his career in the Senate dedicated to reform ;even passing laws I despise like McCain Feingold.

Problem currently for McCain is that of the "Keating Five" episode, he's the only one running for president.
  • Sep 26, 2008, 04:42 PM
    tomder55

Beautiful keep beating that dead horse. I love it.
  • Sep 26, 2008, 04:47 PM
    BABRAM

Or a live jackass. :)
  • Sep 26, 2008, 05:22 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote:

McCain was guilty of nothing more than "poor judgment," the committee said

Wow! That's a relief! I can't wait to cast my vote.
  • Sep 27, 2008, 03:27 AM
    tomder55

But even that was a partisan ruling according to Robert Bennett .
  • Sep 30, 2008, 12:10 PM
    DonaldM_23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ETWolverine View Post
    You guys have missed several important points.

1) The debate on Friday is about FOREIGN POLICY. Finance won't enter into it. So whoever said that McCain is afraid to face Obama over financial issues doesn't know what he is talking about.

2) By suspending his campaign, flying to DC and asking for the debates to be delayed, he's looking like a man of action. Compare that to Obama's response of "If you need me, call me." Whether McCain NEEDS to be there or not is irrelevant... by putting himself there, he looks like a man of action, and Obama doesn't.

3) By putting himself in DC at the meetings, he puts himself at the center of the most pressing issue on people's minds as part of the solution. McCain has linked himself with those who are working to solve the economic problems. By pulling McCain away from DC for the debates (which could just as easily be held at a later date) Obama is seen as inhibiting McCain's attempts to be part of the solution.

4) By linking himself with the solution, McCain is able to blunt Obama's argument that McCain is "part of the problem".

This move puts McCain in a good light and if Obama fights it, it puts Obama in a bad light. Sure it probably is a stunt. But it's a stunt with no down-side and quite a bit of up-side.

Elliot

1. Your wrong it was about the economy
    2. A Man of Action? By showing the world he is concerned about the economy. The Debate show he was full of S**
    3. I can sum up #3 its all politics. Using the economic crisis to be the center of attentions. What a lame effort, Obama being the man of action, want the world to know how he would handle the economy. Oh yea Bush term is up in about 4 months, the last thing obama need to do is sit in the same room of the man who put us in this situation.
    4. Economy + McCain = Disaster
  • Sep 30, 2008, 12:13 PM
    DonaldM_23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    McCain keeps taking us back to Vietnam and his POW years.

McCain threw over the Letterman show with the excuse that he was on his way to bail out the bailout gang, then appeared on Couric's show that same evening, hung around NYC the rest of the night, didn't show up in Washington until the next morning, proceeded to be totally ineffective and even caused upset by bringing his "suspended" campaign into the bailout meeting.

What a guy!

Exactly what a guy... a man of his word