Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Criminal Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=407)
-   -   First Time Felon With Gun Charge (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=234981)

• Jul 7, 2008, 08:21 PM
    shaswi
    First Time Felon With Gun Charge
    My son is 19 years old. He just got charged with his first felony for carring a concealed weapon. In the past, he has incurred other minor charges. Such as having marijuana this charge was paid out. He also had a driving charge of operating a vehicle with out license, this charge was paid out as well. He has been in jail since may 9, 2008 and goes to court July 14, 2008 for carrying a concealed weapon. I was curious as to knowing what is it looking like for him? I mean do you think he will get more time or do you think they will cut him a break since this happens to be his first felony? Please respond.
  • Jul 7, 2008, 10:05 PM
    slickster
    I think that it is possible your son may be able to get a good plea deal depending on the circumstances of this CCW. I also think he definitely needs the best attorney he can get. With a good attorney he may even be able to avoid being convicted of a felony at all. Did I mention he needs a good attorney?
  • Jul 8, 2008, 06:33 AM
    JudyKayTee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shaswi
    my son is 19 years old. he just got charged with his first felony for carring a concealed weapon. in the past, he has incurred other minor charges. such as having marijuana this charge was paid out. he also had a driving charge of operating a vehicle with out lisence, this charge was paid out as well. he has been in jail since may 9, 2008 and goes to court july 14, 2008 for carrying a concealed weapon. i was curious as to knowing what is it looking like for him? i mean do you think he will get more time or do you think they will cut him a break since this happens to be his first felony? please respond.

I don't see anyone cutting him a break - it's not the first time (obviously) he's been in trouble and apparently the earlier charges and fines didn't make an impression on him.

I'd get a very good Attorney very quickly.
  • Jul 8, 2008, 08:08 AM
    excon
    Hello s:

If it was concealed, how did the cops find it? THOSE type of questions are of the type a good attorney will ask. The answer just very well MIGHT be the key that helps your son.

He needs a good attorney, and he needs to keep his mouth shut.

excon
  • Jul 11, 2011, 07:25 AM
    mrs.holley
    My Boyfriend Is 18 Years Old And Hes Had 4 Gun Charges And Arm Robbery How Long Will He Be In Jail For Now Hes In Albany Ny.!
  • Jul 11, 2011, 07:28 AM
    excon

Hello m:

If he's convicted on the armed robbery alone, he could get 10, maybe 20 years in prison... Details matter, though.

excon
  • Jul 11, 2011, 07:31 AM
    JudyKayTee

Twenty-five years is the maximum on EACH charge, depending on what degree is charged.
  • Jul 11, 2011, 07:55 AM
    AK lawyer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mrs.holley View Post
    ... Hes Had 4 Gun Charges And Arm Robbery ...

I believe she's saying those are his past convictions. She gives us no clue whatsoever regarding what he's being charged with now.

I suppose she figures we are all psychic. :rolleyes:
  • Jul 11, 2011, 08:05 AM
    JudyKayTee

Maybe I should read the question before I answer - ?

I took this as right now he's sitting on all those charges. Upon reading it again - maybe these are all old and now he's charged with nothing.

Or maybe -

Well, you get the idea.