Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Criminal Law (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=407)
-   -   First offence theft under $5000 (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=126193)

• Sep 5, 2007, 01:20 PM
    sxe_van
    First offence theft under $5000
    Today I was arrested for shoplifting at walmart. It was about $75 worth of makeup(3 items).. my court date isn't for over a month... does anyone know the outcome for something like this?!
  • Sep 5, 2007, 01:33 PM
    ScottGem
    Have you bothered to read the many other threads that deal with this same question?
  • Sep 5, 2007, 01:35 PM
    bayareaslapzz
    Anything under $499 worth of stolen goods would be considered PITY THEFT, which is a misdemeanor, Consequences would be pretty much "court probation" and "community service"( alternative to jail ). Anything above $500+ would be a felony.
    It would be on your record, both misdemeanors and felonies, but if you hire a lawyer, they can get you a deal, where if you plea guilty, you can go back after your court probation is over and clear your record for good.
  • Sep 5, 2007, 01:37 PM
    sxe_van
    Yes I was just looking them over but I never came across any like mine.. another girl that stole from walmart had hers pardoned I know; however, this was not my case. The police officer said he may talk to the crown and suggest a recommendation for something else because it was my first offense and he said he thought I was a good person? So what do you think this will mean? I'm 19 by the way, in Canada
  • Sep 5, 2007, 01:45 PM
    ScottGem
    I'm sorry, but I have responded to many, many threads like this and your thread is not materially different.

The facts are you shoplifted a small amount. Its your first offense (at least the first time you have been caught). NOTHING else matters.

If you are being prosecuted then you should be able to request a "diversion". Go to the court where your hearing is scheduled and ask about that. Generally it means you serve community service and when your probation is over your record is expunged. This is detailed in dozens of threads.
  • Sep 5, 2007, 01:53 PM
    bayareaslapzz
    Lol... Canada?. This is United States buddy
  • Sep 5, 2007, 01:55 PM
    bayareaslapzz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I'm sorry, but I have responded to many, many threads like this and your thread is not materially different.

The facts are you shoplifted a small amount. Its your first offense (at least the first time you have been caught). NOTHING else matters.

If you are being prosecuted then you should be able to request a "diversion". Go to the court where your hearing is scheduled and ask about that. Generally it means you serve community service and when your probation is over your record is expunged. This is detailed in dozens of threads.

That's almost the same thing I said. Lol:D
  • Sep 5, 2007, 02:18 PM
    ScottGem
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bayareaslapzz
    lol... Canada ??.. This is United States buddy

Not where the OP is. The crime "Theft Under $5000" is used in Canada, not the US.