Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Cars & Trucks (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   96 GMC Sierra no crank (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=131888)

• Sep 20, 2007, 06:17 PM
    ugachaca5
    96 GMC Sierra no crank
    Today the truck was starting slow, sounding like it was turning over under water, but then starting and running fine. This evening I went to start it and nothing. No turn over no cranking, nothing. Replaced the battery and still nothing. Checked all fuses and fuel pump, nothing. Checked the solenoid and fuseable links and nothing. Any clues? :confused:
  • Sep 20, 2007, 06:27 PM
    CaptainRich
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ugachaca5
    Today the truck was starting slow, sounding like it was turning over under water, but then starting and running fine. This evening I went to start it and nothing. No turn over no cranking, nothing. Replaced the battery and still nothing. Checked all fuses and fuel pump, nothing. Checked the solenoid and fuseable links and nothing. Any clues? :confused:

Safety is paramount. Battery acid is extremely caustic and will burn the skin if left in contact.

Carefully examine the battery. Particularly at the Positive cable connection. These batteries have a weakness at that point. The post will often pull out of the battery. At the very least, leak at this point and result in corrosion.
  • Sep 21, 2007, 09:13 PM
    macksmom
    Hi, this is Macksmom's husband... I have been a mechanic for many years... got bored and decided to log into her account here :)

The first thing to do would be to put the key in the "on" position. Don't try to start the truck. See if you have any security lights on. If the light stays on it may be necessary to relearn the keys to the truck (which just means leaving the key in the "on" position until the light goes off, about 10mins). If you get no lights at all, I would suspect an ignition switch is needed.

A little more info is needed to accurately diagnose the problem though :(
  • Sep 22, 2007, 04:58 AM
    CaptainRich
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macksmom
    Hi, this is Macksmom's husband....I have been a mechanic for many years...got bored and decided to log into her account here :)

The first thing to do would be to put the key in the "on" position. Don't try to start the truck. See if you have any security lights on. If the light stays on it may be necessary to relearn the keys to the truck (which just means leaving the key in the "on" position until the light goes off, about 10mins). If you get no lights at all, I would suspect an ignition switch is needed.

A little more info is needed to accurately diagnose the problem though :(

I don't know where you got the idea that this vehicle was equipped with a "Smart Key."
    Can you refer us to a schematic diagram?

I happen to own a Chevy Silverado, identical except trim, and this feature wasn't available until later model year vehicles.

**edit** Check for corrosion on the battery cables, as well. Test fuses with a test light.