Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Cars & Trucks (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   1992 Honda Accord - overheating (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=158623)

• Dec 2, 2007, 11:15 PM
    dvknight16
    1992 Honda Accord - overheating
    Thanks to all of you who helped with my daughter's Daewoo.
    When it rains, it pours. I am now having an overheating problem with my 1992 Honda Accord.
    My son installed a new thermostat about three weeks ago. (I had been having problems with overheating- the gauge showed this and the fan continued to run for a while even after the engine was off) He said upon inspection of old thermostat that it was bad. Since then, my temperature gauge has not gone above normal operating temperature. However, it overheated (I heard the boiling and smelled the overheating) The temperature gauge showed normal operating temperature. However, the top hose was extremely hot, and the water was boiling over into the reservoir. The fans were not on either. Should I drain and refill the radiator and bleed the system? Why is the car not registering that I am overheating? Please help.
  • Dec 3, 2007, 12:05 AM
    TxGreaseMonkey
    It wouldn't surprise me if the radiator needed replacing, due to corrosion or mineral buildup restricting flow. Also, the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor may need replacing. The link below should help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post235973
  • Dec 3, 2007, 02:31 AM
    Duane in Japan
    Your car may also use a fan switch separate from the ECT sensor to tell the fan when to come on. If there is no water at the fan switch (thermoswitch) then it will not tell the fan to come on, this is the same for the temp gauge sending unit, it is a single wire sending unit, if there is not water touching the sending unit then it cannot tell the temp gauge to registar the correct temp, these sensors and switches are not good at sensing hot steam until its way too late.

As mentioned by txgreasemonkey, a radiator and a complete system flush, refill and bleed with a brand new OEM thermostat is in order here, stats don't like to get overheated, remember they have wax in them and they are spring loaded.

I show two temp switches on your car, temp switch A and temp switch B and a fan timer control unit, you might be in for some diagnosis here, see how the rediator looks. I hate to mention it but lets not leave out the possibility of a blown head gasket, lets see what everything else looks like first...
  • Dec 3, 2007, 02:46 PM
    dvknight16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dvknight16
    When it rains, it pours. I am now having an overheating problem with my 1992 Honda Accord.
    My son installed a new thermostat about three weeks ago. (I had been having problems with overheating- the gauge showed this and the fan continued to run for a while even after the engine was off) He said upon inspection of old thermostat that it was bad. Since then, my temperature gauge has not gone above normal operating temperature. However, it overheated (I heard the boiling and smelled the overheating) The temperature gauge showed normal operating temperature. However, the top hose was extremely hot, and the water was boiling over into the reservoir. The fans were not on either. Should I drain and refill the radiator and bleed the system? Why is the car not registering that I am overheating? Please help.

Thanks, Txgreasemonkey & Duane. I had diagnostic run by Honda dealership on cooling system in July of this year (problem I was having was related to a/c - not cooling system); diagnostic said system was fine. I will try drain, refill and bleed, system was flushed about 1 1/2 years ago. I need to find out if the "sensor" that turns on the fan is the same one that sends info to my gauge. Why would gauge show when engine is cold and when it is at operating temperature and not show when it is overheating? It either works or it doesn't. Also, is there any type of sensor in the area of the thermostat that my son could have interferred with when he installed the new thermostat 3 weeks ago?
    Duane, is temperature gauge sending unit in that area? It could expain a lot.
  • Dec 3, 2007, 03:14 PM
    TxGreaseMonkey
    Yes, the ECT sending unit is located right there on the thermostat housing. Check for corrosion on the connector to the sending unit and on the sender unit itself. The simplest thing would be to replace the sending unit--easy job.
  • Dec 3, 2007, 07:32 PM
    Duane in Japan
    A little confusion here folks, the ECT is a two wire sensor, it only give info the ECU to tell how warm the coolant is. The gauge sending unit is a single wire sensor and both of these should be near the distributor and/or thermostat.

You have two fan switches, one on the back of the engine "A" and one on the side of the engine "B", I think this one is near the distributor also. EDIT: Sometimes a fan switch is in the lower radiator tank.

Again, the gauge will not read overheating if there is no coolant touching the sensor, it does not sense hot steam until its extremely hot.

Could you explain the wire colors on some of the sensors in the area of the distributor and the thermostat please and we will get you on the right path with some testing, in the end, these sensors are not expensive and could be changed just as a matter of preventive MX. Do you have a digital camera to take some pics, I am trying to get folks to help us in this pictorial way since we cannot be with you there to help in person.

I use this site to hold my photos but there are several good ones.

http://community.webshots.com....................use the public shoebox if you don't already have a site.

Just a little theory and my memory is fuzzy and not all cars are the same. The ECT sensor is an input to the ECU for such things as, HEY, the engine is cold, lets run in Open Loop Strategy, lets run a little richer than normal. Also, while still cold, lets not let the EGR system turn on just yet. Also, while still cold, lets not let the transmission go into OD just yet either. Also, while still cold, lets make the idle higher than normal to help heat up the engine more quick to help produce less emissions more quick, although on a Honda, the high idle is controlled by a couple of other items, IACV and FITV. The fans and the temp gauge are controlled by other devices on this Honda, and it's a little more detailed than some lower models of Hondas that only incorperate on temp switch "A" and no fan timer unit or controller.
  • Dec 4, 2007, 04:40 PM
    dvknight16
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dvknight16

Thanks again, for your help. Since neither my son or I get home from work before dark, it has been hard to it check out the car again since this past weekend. We may be able to get good lighting at his dad's house. Duane, I do have a digital camera and when we can see and look at everything I will send pictures. Thanks again to both of you for your help.
  • Dec 4, 2007, 09:25 PM
    berrysweetncgurl
    This is the same thing that happened to my 1987 Honda Accord, I had the radiator flushed, replaced the thermostat... then it turned out my heater core had busted, which caused a big mess... boy was I glad to get a new car.. Good Luck
  • Dec 5, 2007, 11:47 AM
    dvknight16
    Thanks for your response, Berrysweetncgurl. I had already considered the heater core, but it is not leaking and seems to be OK. Hope you are enjoying your new car!
  • May 9, 2011, 06:58 PM
    evealarco26
    Hello I am a honda ower I had the car for 2 years having all sorts of problems. When it over heats I cut on the heater blasted so it can cool down faster but once I cut it off it completely shuts down I can't cut it on again..
    1992 honda accord: new alternator, new started, new radiator, new fuel filter, new fuel pump... n still over heating and having problems cutting on the car once again.
  • Jun 4, 2013, 02:14 PM
    oshun1998
    I have a 1992 honda Accord LX. With 130.000 miles. It has a coolant leak I'm able to see. One of my spark plug isn't working and I noticed some coolant on the plug. The vehicle overheats, what could be the problem?