Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beverlene Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2009, 11:31 PM
    My cd and dvd drive will not read anything
    My cd and dvd drive will not read anything, and I do not know much about computers so I do not know what to do, Thanks for anyone who can help!! :eek:
    rwinterton Posts: 289, Reputation: 15

Feb 12, 2009, 02:23 AM

It sounds as if the CD / DVD drive (are there two drives or only one?) is bad -- possibly a bad laser in the read head. In your case, I would advise locating a repair shop or find a "guru" who can come over and check out the drive.
    Jonfifa09 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2009, 11:52 AM

Exactly the same thing has happened to my cd drive, it's a big pain. Ive seemed to have done everything that cancelle's out software. I think its just down to the cd drive itself.

How old is your cd drive and have you installed or deleted anything important that might have effected the cd drive.

Try doing system restore from a time when the drive was working, that might help.
    sumitroyking Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2009, 03:02 AM

My Dvd writer does not read any cd. Even if it does then it takes a longer time and sometimes never. I soon discovered by some research that when I go to the drive and double click it opens but no sign of it's presence actually. Having trouble writing cd's too. Would appreciate help.
    LadyJuliaHale Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2009, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonfifa09 View Post
    Exactly the same thing has happened to my cd drive, its a big pain. Ive seemed to have done everything that cancelle's out software. I think its just down to the cd drive itself.

How old is your cd drive and have you installed or deleted anything important that might have effected the cd drive.

Try doing system restore from a time when the drive was working, that might help.
    Actually, that advice doesn't work at all. That is one of the things that I tried yesterday when my D: drive stopped working. I restored it to the beginning of this month, but to no avail, it didn't work.
    ct.alipour Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2010, 01:21 AM
    My laptop has the same problem... sometimes if I restart, it starts working but it makes a terrible sound the whole time it's reading the CD... but today even that won't work... please help... is it a hardware problem?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CD drive won't read CDs. [ 3 Answers ]

It was working fine all day today until I put in a newly burnt CD-R (burnt on another computer, by the way, this one is just a plain cdrom drive), a CD-R which seems to have been faulty (if that's possible). This CD had nothing but video files (no audio), but when I put it into the computer Windows...

My Cd-Drive Won't Read, Burn, Rip or Be Useful. [ 4 Answers ]

First of all, I know that this question has been asked, but it hasn't for a while, and I couldn't understand the answers of they just didn't address the issue. All right, whenever I put in any Cd: Audio, Game, Blank, or DVD, my CD-drive will never read it. I can see the CD-Drive icon in My...

My CD drive won't read CDs [ 1 Answers ]

I looked for an answer online and asked the HP tech support, I couldn't find anything online, and the HP support wanted to sell me a new one, so now I found this website and could use some help. My CD drive has had a lot of trouble opening and closing, after awhile it wouldn't burn CDs, but just...

Cd drive will not read CDs [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, I recently went to install Hellgate : London but my CD drive won't read the disk, saying there is an empty disk in the drive, asking me if I want to format it. Please help, this problem is very annoying :(

My CD Drive won't read CDs! [ 28 Answers ]

It just won't run any discs, It opens and closes, but refuses to read. I have had the problem for a while but It never really bothered me... Until I just tried to install Morrowind. Now it's personal, and needs to be fixed. My parents will not do anything about it because "it doesn't concern them,...

View more questions Search