Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tothewashroom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2008, 05:17 PM
    My Cd-Drive Won't Read, Burn, Rip or Be Useful.
    First of all, I know that this question has been asked, but it hasn't for a while, and I couldn't understand the answers of they just didn't address the issue.
    All right, whenever I put in any Cd: Audio, Game, Blank, or DVD, my CD-drive will never read it. I can see the CD-Drive icon in My computer, and whenever I put a CD in the drive it tries to run, I can here it spin, but it always stops before it appears on the computer. Also, whenever I try to Burn CD's, it says they are corrupt, and I've tried 10 or so blank CD's. It's not just one CD, but every one at this point.
    Sorry, but I also need some step by step instructions, and I am not very familiar with all the "slang" terms or Hardware names, so I'll need to be spoon fed for a bit.
    Thank you so much and sorry if I am being a pain!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2008, 10:06 PM

Hi, Tothewashroom!

I have just a couple of questions for you that would help those that come along to address your question.

1. Did your Cd drive previously work?

2. If it did, how old and how much have you used the drive, please?

In one of my computers, the two Cd drives have been used so much, that they won't work a lot of the time. Some of the symptoms that they have are the same as yours.

Thanks!
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2008, 01:48 PM

What operating system you're running, and its version.

What is the exact text of the error message if possible, this may convey a lot of information.

Any hardware add-on devices that you think might be related to the problem you're seeing.

Any changes that either happened or that you perhaps made to your computer around the time that the problem started; particularly any software or hardware that you installed or setup.
    brockieboy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2009, 06:47 PM

Can't play or burn c.d.s or dvds.have installed xp ultimate recently all drives worked before on normal xp
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2009, 06:58 PM

Check device mgr for any yellow marks

Start, settings, control panel, system icon, hardware tab, device mgr

Anything marked in yellow there?

Under cd/dvd drives, what is listed there?

have installed xp ultimate recently
    What was originally installed and what did the computer originally come with?

What model computer if avail>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CD drive won't read CDs. [ 3 Answers ]

It was working fine all day today until I put in a newly burnt CD-R (burnt on another computer, by the way, this one is just a plain cdrom drive), a CD-R which seems to have been faulty (if that's possible). This CD had nothing but video files (no audio), but when I put it into the computer Windows...

My CD drive won't read CDs [ 1 Answers ]

I looked for an answer online and asked the HP tech support, I couldn't find anything online, and the HP support wanted to sell me a new one, so now I found this website and could use some help. My CD drive has had a lot of trouble opening and closing, after awhile it wouldn't burn CDs, but just...

Cd drive will not read CDs [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, I recently went to install Hellgate : London but my CD drive won't read the disk, saying there is an empty disk in the drive, asking me if I want to format it. Please help, this problem is very annoying :(

Drive won't burn or read [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My dvd burner won't read or burn. It opens and closes. The cd does not show up in my computer when I put it in. it is an winXP:confused: I got a new HP burner and same problem.

My CD Drive won't read CDs! [ 28 Answers ]

It just won't run any discs, It opens and closes, but refuses to read. I have had the problem for a while but It never really bothered me... Until I just tried to install Morrowind. Now it's personal, and needs to be fixed. My parents will not do anything about it because "it doesn't concern them,...

View more questions Search