Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (
-   Accounting (
-   -   W2 Question (

  • Feb 12, 2018, 01:19 PM
    W2 Question
    I am employed full time with a company and receive annual W2. I recently started a part time online business from home. I opened a LLC and obtained a Federal Tax ID number. IF and when the online business becomes successful, then I would consider leaving my job. In the mean time, I would like to find out if I can contact the HR department of my employer and ask them to pay my salary to my new LLC and send the annual W2 to my LLC. This way I only will have to do one business tax return and I will get paid salary via my LLC. Please advise if this a practical legal option. Thank you
  • Feb 13, 2018, 08:01 AM
    Perhaps, though paying your salary to your LLC would make you a contractor, not an employee. Depending on your job this may be OK, but as a contractor your current employer would no longer pay their portion of SS taxes nor benefits to you such as health or life insurance, and it would require that you are in a job where it's reasonable to claim that you manage your own time (i.e. have no set hours) and provide your own tools or equipment. Just what type of job do you have?

  • All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:39 AM.