Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    parooka Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2007, 05:09 PM
    Landlord Requireing 60 day notice to vacate on Month to Month Lease
    I've lived in this apartment for 4 years. For the past year we have been going month to month, as we anticipated we might need to move out when we purchased a condo.

Well, we got the condo, and now need to close in 1 month, yet the management in our apartment complex tells us we need to give 60 days notice, and that it's in our lease agreement. So basically we'll be paying both mortgage and rent for 1 month.

So, I've done some research and am still very confused. I saw a post on apartmentratings.com, where a tenant stated that he was in the same situation in my apartment complex, and that he told him that a 60 day notice on month to month leases is against Virginia State law. He then said the management caved in immediately. I however would like to have some proof that this law exists but I'm having trouble finding the information.

Yet I've seen other posts which state that if it says 60 days in the lease, then 60 days it is.
    Kind of defeats the purpose of going month to month doesn't it? It's something I should have realized when I went month to month, I guess I just assumed common sense would dictate that when you go month to month, it's because you may need to move out in a month... not two months.

I appreciate any help you can give me on this.

By the way, sorry I posted the same question in a similar thread, didn't realize I could start my own topic. Please ignore my post in the other thread. Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 4, 2007, 06:20 PM
    When you go month to month the terms of the original lease still apply except for the expiration date. So, if the original lease says 60 days, then its still 60 days. So check your lease.

Aug 4, 2007, 06:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    When you go month to month the terms of the original lease still apply except for the expiration date. So, if the original lease says 60 days, then its still 60 days. So check your lease.

Thanks for the quick response Scott.
    Quick question though, you mentioned in a different post...

Unless the written terms of a lease are against prevailing laws then the provisions stand. So unless the law for your area specifically prohibits a 60 notice period, then you are required to give such notice.
    Do you think it's possible that Virginia state law prohibits a 60 day notice period? I'm having trouble finding that information online. Do you know a good resource that would break this down state by state?

Reason I ask is because of the instance I referred to earlier, where the guy stated he mentioned this law to our management and they decided to not enforce the 60 days. Of course this guy could be making this up but I'm not sure what purpose that would serve.

Here is his post...
    Opinion of Rosslyn Heights (formerly Summit Village) posted 6/25/2007: Month-to-month Scam

Thanks
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Was a new lease written up for the month to month or did you just transfer without paperwork?

It looks like if you are year to year on your lease then a 60 day notice is legal in VA.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 4, 2007, 06:39 PM
    This appears to be the applicable law:

LIS > Code of Virginia > 55-248.37

It states that the terms of the written lease apply. It also states that term is AT LEAST 30 days which means it could be more.

Aug 4, 2007, 08:53 PM
    OK thanks guys, looks like I'm SOL.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Notice required on a month to month lease? [ 9 Answers ]

I signed a 1 year lease that ended on July 31, 2006 in Minnesota. The lease states that if resident stays in the apt after the lease ends, with managements approval, it becomes a month to month lease. I stayed. The notice period stated in the lease is 60 days, effective the last day of the month....

Month to Month Contract (Security Deposit and 30 day Notice) [ 2 Answers ]

In the State of Ohio is it true the tenant has to give 30 days notice when they are moving out and the landord has to give 30 days notice when asking them to move out? If they do not give 30 days do they lose their security deposit?

Verbal Month to Month Notice [ 2 Answers ]

I am a landlord in CT. I have a tenant on a month to month with no signed lease at this point. We have both acknowledge a month to month verbally, via email records and by paying a monthly rent for 18 months. She just gave 7 days notice on the first of the month and expects me to prorate her...

Minnesota Month to Month Notice Period [ 0 Answers ]

Trying to understand the lease that I am dealing with if I required to give a 60 day notice that my landlord claims that is in effect in a tenancy at will (after the original lease ended)or 30 days notice as a month-to-month terms of MN Law apply? Minnesota Statute 504B.135 TERMINATING...

View more questions Search