Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    super_kon_el Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2011, 04:01 PM
    will child support take some or all of my lump sum SSi payment?
    I just got accepted for Supplemental security income here in Washington State and I went to the appointment and they said I was going to get a back pay check at some point. I owe a lot of back child support (I was 15, the mother was 14 and when I didn't want to be her boyfriend she filed for child support and got money while my grandmother took care of the kid, then kicked me out because the mom said if I lived there she wouldn't get the money anymore and wouldn't let my G-ma have our kid... So I was homeless and jobless for around 10 years) ANYWAY I owe a lot.

I was wondering:
    A) can they take the whole back pay check?

B) If they can how will I know it's happening? Will they send me a letter first or will the money just never arrive.

This money is really important because I owe on rent for at least 2 months on top of vet bills, (I think my dog is sick again too)and other random bills.

I do want to get the child support out of the way but even if I pay it the mom will get the same amount and either way it's not going to the kid.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 27, 2011, 04:33 PM

Yes they can take the whole check. But why haven'[t you fought against the mother who is abusing the system?
    super_kon_el Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2011, 04:41 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    I was I kid, a junkie and up until about 2 years ago didn't think I was going to live past the day I was living in. Anyway, my grandma is no stranger to cons, she had 3 different I.D's until a few years ago and she always has cable in someone other people's names.
    Now, my child's mother is ALSO on SSI and my child is living with HER parents, she has another kid (not by me) and honestly I don't think I have it in my to go through that.
    I guess if I don't get the money I'll be upset but at least I'll be closer to paid off.
    Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I owe Back child Support and Applied for SSI disability. Can They Take my Lump Sum? [ 39 Answers ]

Hello, I pay child support to my ex and owe $11,000 in back support. CCS takes my takes every year. I just applied for SSDI. My question is if I get approved and get a lump sum will child support take my whole lump sum? And will I still have to pay monthle child support?

View more questions Search