Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kennyberndt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2011, 11:14 AM
    Can't get brass bonnet off delta single handle shower faucet
    My Delta Monitor single handle shower faucet leaks at the shower head. Delta sent me a free replacement cartridge to fix it. I can not get the brass bonnet to unscrew and I'm worried about breaking something. Any advice?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 7, 2011, 11:41 AM

Hi Kenny...

You got the handle off and everything associated with the anti-scald feature and the trim plate off the valve and now there is just a big round chrome or brass screw cap to remove before accessing the cartridge? If this is accurate then believe it or not the correct tool for removing that cap is going to be either your hands or a strap wrench. A little WD-40 or Anti-Seize let to soak for a couple hours won't hurt either...

Here, if you use a tool such as a pair of pliers, for example, the squeeze needed to grip the cap is so great that you actually fight yourself and it won't budge. After many attempts at this using tools I finally figured out that I could just use my hands to remove the cap. On real tough jobs I used a strap wrench, but most of the time I could get iot started with my hands and then I used a pair of pliers to finish removing it.

Check the picture out below... the "bonnet" or "cap" should be similar to your setup and if so, try these things and let me know how you are making out, OK?

If this all fails then you may be well to use a large 18" wrench and see if that will remove the cap... works as a last resort... ;)

Back to you...

Mark
    Attached Images

Sugith.Jagdeep Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2011, 10:57 AM
    Hello Mark, I am experiencing the same problem. I have tried with one of those adjustable pliers, but you are right, due to the wide squeeze, I do not get much leverage and the pliers slip out of position. I have not tried WD-40 or anti-seize as yet, nor a stap wrench. I will try with the WD-40 or anti-seize and see how I make out

Regards
    Sugith
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 1, 2011, 11:22 AM

Hi Sugith...

Hopefully, the strap wrench will get it done!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dripping single handle delta bathtub faucet [ 1 Answers ]

Have any ideas on how I repair this dripping problem? I have an indication that I need to replace a washer or "O" ring, but don't know how to get to those pieces. Help

How to remove hardened seals in a single handle Delta faucet. [ 10 Answers ]

They just won't come out, seems as though they must be dug out, but I don't want to gouge the brass housing.

I have a single handle Delta tub faucet w/o a shower. Diverter engaged.. Disengage? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a single handle Delta tub faucet w/o a shower. The faucet diverter for the non-existent shower has become engaged, the ring at the spout exit. With the pressure diverted to the non-existent shower, how do I get the pressure back to the spout? I've tried messing with the ring but to no...

Leaking single handle Delta faucet in a bath tub [ 2 Answers ]

I have a steady-dripping single handle Delta faucet in an upstairs bathtub. It has a pretty good leak. How do I get to the leak to fix it and what do I need to replace?

Dripping Delta Single-handle kitchen faucet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a single-handle Delta kitchen faucet that will not stop dripping. I did some research online and learned to buy a replacement kit to replace the interior workings of the faucet. I have done that, and have replaced every interior part, both O-rings, the springs and seals (which I am told is...

View more questions Search