Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Windows (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   Problems burning cds (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=13675)

• Oct 14, 2005, 03:41 AM
    bigdarkweapon
    Problems burning cds
    I have just encountered a problem and I'm stuck.

I am having problems burning any kind of data to cds. It starts fine but when it comes to closing the disk and making ready to use it kicks the disk out and fails. I've tried burning using the burning wizard on xp, nero and media player and the same result. I have tried different disks, slowing the speed down. I have even tried burning music, photos and avi files and the same result.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Dex
  • Oct 14, 2005, 04:20 AM
    fredg
    Burning CD's
    Hi,
    Have you been burning them before, and they worked?
    Or, is this the first time you have tried, and it won't work at all?
    I use Nero Express 5.5, with Win98SE.
    To burn a CD-R:
    Insert the Cd-R into the burner drive.
    Open up Nero.
    Then, click on the Data option, and select Data Disc.
    In that window, click on the Add button. Then, select your folder, and left click on the file(s) you want to burn. Then, click on Finished.
    Uncheck the "Verify files", last option toward the bottom. I also change the speed to one below the maximum.
    When finished, it doesn't "close" the entire disk; it closes that particular session.
    You probably already have tried the above, and the issue might be that the computer is using all it's memory or Burning Cache before it finishes. So, try this right before you open your burning program:
    1. Turn off all Anti-virus programs running in the background.
    2. Turn off all screen savers and also the background for the desktop.
    3. Disable or turn off any other programs running in the background, (the small icons in the system tray down to the right by the computer clock), that you don't need running for the burning.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
  • Oct 14, 2005, 06:03 AM
    StuMegu
    Try using different media (blanks) if possible, it could be the ones you have are faulty!
  • Oct 14, 2005, 06:06 AM
    bigdarkweapon
    I have used these disks before and they have worked no problem. I'm using rewritable disks which I have burned on before. I'm going to get some normal recordable ones over weekend.

I have shut everything down as suggested but it still stops right at the end.

I haven't defragged PC for a while, do you think this may help?

Cheers
    Dex
  • Oct 14, 2005, 11:46 AM
    StuMegu
    I wouldn't expect defrag to make any difference these days, A couple of other suggestions are to check the manufacturers website for updates for your drive and software. Possibly try using a lens cleaner on the drive, however it has worked for most of the burning process so this is unlikely the solution. Could be the drive is on it's way out, has it done many miles?
  • Oct 15, 2005, 04:46 AM
    fredg
    Defrag
    Hi,
    It would not hurt anything to Defrag, even though windows pop-up will tell you it doesn't need to be done... do it anyway. It could possibly help, and won't cost anything, except a little time.
    fredg