Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Windows (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   Two Operating Systems? I Need To Get Rid Of One Of Them (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=7188)

• Jan 16, 2005, 07:19 AM
    kktobias
    Two Operating Systems? I Need To Get Rid Of One Of Them
    I currently have Windows XP Pro. I had to reinstall XP because of a big problem I had. Well instead of upgrading which I should have done, I reinstalled it as a new install. When I boot up my computer, it asks me which operating system I want to run. I know I have to go into the boot ini. File but I forget how. Second issue. I would like to uninstall the other operating system (the one I don’t need) that wound up on another drive?? Could you please let me know how I can go about doing that? I cannot go into the Add/Remove, it is not in there. If I try to boot on that operating system (the one I want to delete) the system keeps rebooting itself. I need to get rid of that. If you could help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

And also, THIS IS GOING TO SOUND LIKE A STUPID QUESTION BUT MAYBE I JUST HAVE A BRAIN CRAMP OR SOMETIME. HOW CAN I TELL WHAT DRIVES THESE ARE ON? I KNOW WHERE THE FIRST ONE IS WHICH IS ON DRIVE C BUT THE OTHER?
  • Jan 19, 2005, 12:55 AM
    Wendy225
    Reformat
    Just format the whole drive and start over with 1 fresh install of Winxp ;)
  • Jan 19, 2005, 05:39 AM
    NeedKarma
    Here's what you were looking for:

Start > Run, type in "msconfig", click on the boot.ini tab.
    First try to click on "Check All Boot Paths" to see if Windows will automatically clean the boot.ini. It may not, if so then delete the offending line under [operating systems]. More here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q289022

Of course that only removes the option presented to you at startup. You'll have to find the second installation of Windows on your hard drive and delete that in order to free up the space.
  • Oct 7, 2005, 09:07 AM
    usaphen
    Uninstal Extra Windows Xp operating systems
    I have windows xp, but I have 3 different operating systems on it. They are all windows xp, but I want to delete two of them that I don't use. Do u have any sugestions for me.

Thanks,
    Phen
  • Oct 7, 2005, 11:59 AM
    ScottGem
    How did you get 3 of them? What makes you think you have 3 of them?
  • Oct 8, 2005, 03:54 AM
    fredg
    Xp
    Hi,
    The suggestion about using your install XP CD's and reformatting your hard drive, then reinstalling XP would be your best bet.
    Just simply deleting one of the operating systems will leave many, many files on your harddrive; and in your Registry, which you don't need.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
  • Oct 8, 2005, 05:07 AM
    ScottGem
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    The suggestion about using your install XP CD's and reformatting your harddrive...

Fred,
    You really need to check the dates and posters (another example of your not reading carefully). Those suggestions were made months ago to a different poster. The thread was revived yesterday by a different poster.

While the suggestions may be applicable, I would like to make sure that he actually has 3 installations first.
  • Oct 8, 2005, 07:34 PM
    usaphen
    Two Operating Systems
    Hello,
    Thank you for the help, and just one other thing do u have to wipe everything off your computer before u reformate it because I have a lot of stuff I want to keep that is already on the installation I am using?

Phen
  • Oct 9, 2005, 05:21 AM
    ScottGem
    Quote:

Originally Posted by usaphen
    Hello,
    Thank you for the help, and just one other thing do u have to wipe everything off your computer before u reformate it because I have alot of stuff I want to keep that is already on the installation I am using?

Phen

No you don't have to wipe everything off BEFORE you reformat. That's what reformatting will do. Reformatting leaves you with a blank drive. If you want to keep this stuff, then copy the data files to CD or other media. Make sure you have the installation disks or files for all your software, since they will need to be reinstalled.

But I asked you some questions that you didn't answer. You may not need to reformat depending on how you answer those questions.