Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Toys (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=331)
-   -   A toy from my childhood (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=66747)

• Feb 26, 2007, 06:15 PM
    joeyj
    A toy from my childhood
    I need help figuring out what the name of a toy I played with I was young. It was kind of an outdoor activity. I used to have a box full of pipes.. white plastic pipes and at the ends of them were little connectors so different pipes fit on the ends of others. There was all different shapes and sizes of the pipes some were short or long and some were in an "L" shape. The activity came with a booklet that walked you through how to make different things such as a house or even a little car. The set came with little black wheels to complete the car! I'm going crazy trying to find the name and if they are still made. I want to say the name was something like Pipe works... or pipe porks... I've tried finding them on the internet and no luck can anyone help!!
  • Feb 28, 2007, 08:47 AM
    rawpotatoeater37
    Not to pry or be weird, but which decade would this be?
  • Feb 28, 2007, 08:50 AM
    curlybenswife
    I know exactly what you mean and I think you will find this is the updated version...

K'NEX | Shop By Search
  • Feb 28, 2007, 08:51 AM
    rawpotatoeater37
    K'nex? It's K'nex! WOW! I always used to play with those when I was a kid.

Duh!
  • Feb 28, 2007, 08:54 AM
    curlybenswife
    Hehehehehehe I know our niece had some for christmas and she didn't get much of a look in let me tell you :D
  • Feb 28, 2007, 08:56 AM
    Capuchin
    Pffft I'm a LEGO man myself.
  • Feb 28, 2007, 09:00 AM
    curlybenswife
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Pffft i'm a LEGO man myself.

No account for taste giggle ;)
  • Feb 28, 2007, 09:30 AM
    Tuscany
    What were K'Nex called before though.
    I had them... but I know they were not called that.
    I remember making the Batmobile with them.
    This is going to drive me crazy... was it Erector or something like that?
  • Feb 28, 2007, 09:32 AM
    curlybenswife
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuscany
    What were K'Nex called before though.
    I had them...but I know they were not called that.
    I remember making the Batmobile with them.
    This is going to drive me crazy...was it Erector or something like that?

Now your asking bet ben will know when he gets home...
  • Feb 28, 2007, 10:04 AM
    Tuscany
    I can even see the special box it came in. It has individual compartments for each set of pieces.
  • Feb 28, 2007, 02:23 PM
    Curlyben
    Have a look at this: K'Nex
    Before the plastic K'Nex came out there was a wooden "version" called Tinkertoys, so that could be it.
  • Feb 28, 2007, 02:29 PM
    Squiffy
    Playskool Pipeworks

They don't make them anymore though.
  • Mar 4, 2007, 08:53 PM
    airbats-goku
    How about tinker toys? That ring a bell?
  • Mar 21, 2007, 11:00 AM
    mykidstoys
    What you are looking for is Pipeworks. We have a large set that is for sale. We are going to put it up on E-bay.
  • Jan 17, 2008, 06:54 PM
    iamsellingone
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joeyj
    i need help figuring out what the name of a toy i played with with i was young. it was kind of an outdoor activity. i used to have a box full of pipes.. white plastic pipes and at the ends of them were little connectors so different pipes fit on the ends of others. there was all different shapes and sizes of the pipes some were short or long and some were in an "L" shape. the activity came with a booklet that walked you through how to make different things such as a house or even a little car. the set came with little black wheels to complete the car! im going crazy trying to find the name and if they are still made. i want to say the name was something like Pipe works ...or pipe porks ... ive tried finding them on the internet and no luck can anyone help!!!

Playskool Pipeworks I have one listed on eBay now the item # is 200193192710
  • Mar 21, 2008, 07:21 PM
    gidgetgrrl
    They are called Pipeworks. Me and my brothers had them.
  • Mar 29, 2008, 12:22 PM
    djjay007
    I think it may be the playskool pipeworks set. If you are interested I have a set for sale.
  • Mar 29, 2008, 07:23 PM
    rawpotatoeater37
    Okay now, I think this question is thoroughly answered.
  • May 3, 2008, 05:28 PM
    teh threat
    Lego>K'nex
    The instructions were so much easier with many simple steps whereas K'nex had like three to five massive complex steps