Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Taxes (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=320)
-   -   Can I Get A Refund For New York City Taxes? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=150986)

• Nov 11, 2007, 07:16 PM
    theraven
    Can I Get A Refund For New York City Taxes?
    I lived and worked in New York City for half of the year and was taxed accordingly. I moved to New Jersey in June, but forgot to change my paperwork (i.e. W-2) with my employer so I kept paying New York state taxes instead of New Jersey state taxes AS WELL AS NEW YORK CITY TAXES.

(1) Is there anything I can do to reconcile this, so that I can receive a refund on any New York State and City taxes?

(2) Can I get a refund for the New York City taxes I paid since June, which I shouldn't have paid?

(3) What should I do to reconcile my New York and New Jersey state taxes? I should have been paying New Jersey taxes, but kept paying New York. In the process I paid more than I would have if I had made the correct paperwork changes. Is there anything I can do?
  • Nov 11, 2007, 07:18 PM
    ScottGem
    This will all be handled when you file your return.
  • Nov 11, 2007, 07:32 PM
    theraven
    How would I go about doing that though? Do I need to show that I was living in New Jersey and thus not subject to New York City taxes even though I paid them?

Would that mean that I'm entitled to a refund of the New York CITY tax paid?
  • Nov 11, 2007, 07:53 PM
    ScottGem
    I would suggest taking your return to a tax preparer. He will know what forms you have to file and how to calculate what taxes you owe to whom. If you have been over withheld from one taxing entity you will then get money back.

You will need to file state returns for both NY and NJ. The forms will ask you how long you lived where.
  • Nov 12, 2007, 07:00 AM
    ebaines
    Although you don't state this explicitly,I am assuming that you moved to NJ but are still working in NYC - is that correct? In this case, for 2007 you will have to submit two tax forms to NY State (which also includes the NYC tax calculations): a part-year resident return (for the period you were living in NYC) and a non-resident tax form (for the period you lived in NJ but worked in NYC). You should get a refund from NYC for the period after you moved out but continued to have tax withheld - this is because NYC tax applieds only to NYC residents (there is no commuter tax for NY City). However, I suspect that you will not get too much (if anything) from NY State, as the rates they charge you as a non-resident are the same as for residents. You will also have to file a part-year resident tax form for NJ State - on that form you declare the time frame you lived in NJ, and because you have to pay out of state taxes they will give you a credit for the taxes paid to NY State while you lived in NJ. I suspect that at the end of all this you will end up owing NJ little or nothing.
  • Nov 13, 2007, 09:31 AM
    AtlantaTaxExpert
    All advice is good. I have nothing to add.