Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elcastle Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2007, 05:20 PM
    Can you connect a cast iron closet flange to an ABS Pipe?
    I have to move my toilet over an inch from the wall per inspector's request. I have searched the internet and have not found an ABS offset closet flange that would work for me. I did however find a cast iron flange that measures 4" x 2" (Jones Stephens Corp. Model # C44-420). Is it at all possible to connect cast iron to ABS without any leaks? Thanks
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2007, 05:46 PM
    There might be a way to use enough black roofing cement to keep it from leaking but you would have to secure the flange to the concrete floor with some TopCon screws or something like that.
    I don't think much of the idea of using cast iron on plastic. Also it might be possible to use some lead wool to caulk the joint using the cast iron flange to the ABS.
    Just what is his reason for wanting you to move the flange.
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

May 11, 2007, 06:59 PM
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...3-a-91490.html

May 11, 2007, 08:03 PM
    The toilet is to close to the wall so the inspector dinged me on it. The only reason the wall is so close is because it was moved in that direction to fit a dual sink vanity that the wife wanted. I am on my final inspection and this is the only thing that is holding me up. I really don't need to use the cast iron flange but it's the only one with the correct height that I need. All the others (ABS or PVC) that I have found would raise my toilet of the ground. I need an offset flange that would fit a 4" ABS pipe with a 2" height. Any plumbing suppliers out there that anyone knows of? Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 12, 2007, 06:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by elcastle
    I have to move my toilet over an inch from the wall per inspector's request. I have searched the internet and have not found an ABS offset closet flange that would work for me. I did however find a cast iron flange that measures 4" x 2" (Jones Stephens Corp., Model # C44-420). Is it at all possible to connect cast iron to ABS without any leaks? Thanks
    While it's possible to install a cast iron llange on a ABS raiser it's a hassle you don't have to go through. Search no more. Click on; Toilet Flanges from the most FAMOUS Internet PLUMBING SUPPLY
    To find a ABS offset closet flange,(see image). This flange will offset 1 1/2" and fit inside a 4" closet raiser or outside a 3" one. Good luck, Tom

May 12, 2007, 12:22 PM
    "Speedball 1" I found the offset closet flange you have pictured at Home Depot. The problem that I ran into is that the 4" street elbow that is at the end of the sewage line has a spigot end (see image) instead of a hub end so the offest closet flange doesn't fit. I didn't want to break up the concrete to replace the elbow in order to have one that ends with a hub end but if there isn't any other option than I will. Thanks
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

May 12, 2007, 03:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by elcastle
    "Speedball 1" I found the offset closet flange you have pictured at Home Depot. The problem that I ran into is that the 4" street elbow that is at the end of the sewage line has a spigot end (see image) instead of a hub end so the offest closet flange doesn't fit. I didn't want to break up the concrete to replace the elbow in order to have one that ends with a hub end but if there isn't any other option than I will. Thanks
    You have not put up a image of a street 90. You have posted a 4" quarter bend,( fitting with two hubs). This is what a street 90 looks like,(see image).
    The offset flange I put up will fit inside a 4" pipe, (like the male end of a street 90) or it will go over a 3" pipe. So where's your problem? Regards, Tom

Jun 3, 2007, 11:08 AM
    I've broken up the concrete around the elbow and have found that the elbow ends at ground level. The actual sewer line sits only about 4" below ground level so I think there isn't an elbow that I could use instead of what is there now. If I were to use the offset closet flange pictured, it would sit about 2 1/2"- 3" above ground level. In the picture I did not insert it all the way for fear of not being able to remove it because it's very tight. If I could use the offset cast iron closet flange on the right it would keep the toilet at ground level. Help! I've run into a brick wall.
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Jun 3, 2007, 02:33 PM
    You're attempting to install the flange in a hub fitting. That's not going to work.
    ALL flanges HAVE to be mounted on a bald raiser, If you haven't the room to install a raiser out of the 90 then you'll have to replace it with a street like the one I've pictured earlier. The offset flange I put up will fit inside a 4" pipe, (like the male end of a street 90) or it will go over a 3" pipe but you'll need room to do it. Would it be possible to install a short raiser out of the quarter bend to mount a flange on? NO? Then you'll hafta cut the quarter bend out and replace it with a street 90. The good news is if you replace the quarter bend you can move it out farther from the wall so you won't need a offset flange. A regular ABS flange will do. Good luck. Tom

Jun 3, 2007, 04:11 PM
    Tom I've attached a picture to show that I need to move away from the wall on the right. The remainder of the original closet flange is still glued onto the elbow. It was a closet flange that fit over the outside of the 4" elbow end. I removed the blue adjustable ring that was part of it. With only 4" of depth from the straight sewer line to ground level, do you think I have enough depth to use a different type of elbow? The reason I ask is because I was measuring all the elbows at Home Depot and if I would connect any of them to the sewage line and then attach the ABS offset closet flange they would all be above ground level. I'm still concerned that the neck on the offset closet flange will make it to high to sit flush with the ground. Am I just not getting it?? :(
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Offset Closet Flange for Cast Iron? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, My cast iron waste pipe centerline is 11 inches from the finished wall. It worked with my old toilet (since disposed of) but won't work for my new Kohler. Is there an offset for cast iron that is easy to install? BTW, the floor was tiled and the old closet flange had an extra flange as a...

Connect pvc to cast iron [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to connect new PVC drain pipe to old Cast Iron drain pipe?

Splicing ABS into Cast iron? [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of remodling my shower stall. I need to change the shower drain from cast iron to ABS. What do I need to do to complete this project. Can I splice the two together? Thanks

View more questions Search