Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dsimms Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2005, 09:10 AM
    Draining water lines before soldering
    I'm currently putting a bathroom in my basement. I'm ready to tie into my existing water lines. I need to know if I need to shut off and empty my water heat in order to drain the water out of the lines. The water heater is in the basement and would be lower than any faucet. I would prefer not to empty it but if I need to so be it. Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 28, 2005, 10:34 AM
    Draining water lines before soldering
    Quote Originally Posted by dsimms
    I'm currently putting a bathroom in my basement. I'm ready to tie into my existing water lines. I need to know if I need to shut off and empty my water heat in order to drain the water out of the lines. The water heater is in the basement and would be lower than any faucet. I would prefer not to empty it but if I need to so be it. Thanks.
    Shut off the house and open hot and cold faucets upstairs at the highest level to break vacume. Shut the heater off at the breaker box and drain it into the floor drain. Get ALL THE MOISTURE out of the pipes where you're soldering or it will turn to steam and escape through the joint you're soldering and give you pinhole leaks. You don't have to drain the entire heater, just get the water level below the joints you're soldering. Good luck, Tom
    dsimms Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2005, 09:46 PM
    Tom thanks for all your help and sage advice. I've completed the piping for my basement bathroom. NO leaks runs or errors ! My soldering skills improved dramaticly after I did it the way you said to do it and draining the lines was easier than I thought it would be. I'm sure I'll post again as I install my fixtures. Thanks again!! Dave

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sizing Water Lines [ 3 Answers ]

Tom, It's me again. The guy finishing his basement. I've made it all the way to being ready to run water pipes for my basement bathroom and wet bar. Here's my question. Our house is about 3 years old and the builder or plumber was nice enough to stub out the water lines above where our...

Draining a hot water heater [ 3 Answers ]

I have a gas rheem hot water heater, that I don't know how old it is. It was in the house when I bought it 6 years ago. It looks OK and is in my storage shed. I was thinking about draining it (it does make some noise when it is heating) I am afraid I am opening a can of worms. I am not a plumber,...

Vanity Water Lines [ 5 Answers ]

We are having a house built and the plumber ran the water lines up through the floor rather than through the wall. I have never seen this before. Is this common? I am concerned that the lines will not have the strength to support a shutoff valve? Are there any codes related to this issue? ...

Draining a hot water heater? [ 4 Answers ]

Is there any merit to draining/flushing a hot water heater at certain intervals to purge it of solids such as minerals to extend its life or otherwise cut down on the amount of corrosion?

Air in water lines [ 1 Answers ]

I have a on going problem with air in my water lines. When the outside water is turned on either the water comes in bursts or it is steady but with air bubbles. I have a horse farm and the water lines to my paddocks & barns froze and broke last winter (30 below 0 with no snow) so all of them were...

View more questions Search