Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tucsonmac Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2006, 10:13 AM
    Draining a hot water heater
    I have a gas rheem hot water heater, that I don't know how old it is. It was in the house when I bought it 6 years ago. It looks OK and is in my storage shed. I was thinking about draining it (it does make some noise when it is heating) I am afraid I am opening a can of worms. I am not a plumber, but I noticed heavy calcium build up around the intrance and exit (more here) for the water. I can hardly turn the shut off valvae for the incoming water. Arizona has a lot of calcium in its water. Should I just let it go an purchase a new heater next summer or try and drain it? I am just scared of getting in over my head.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2006, 10:44 AM
    Besides making a noise when heating, is there any other evidence of it not working as it should?

Sorry to waffle, but I have to. There's no cut and dried answer.

1. It certainly can't hurt to drain it as a preventive maint. Issue, but sounds like you should replace the shutoff valve while you're at it.

2. If it were me I'd probably just replace it knowing it's probably near the end of it's life anyway.
    tucsonmac Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2006, 11:23 AM
    No it just goes clink clank pop when it is heating. Other wise no problems, low gas use etc. Thanks for the reply, and I will probably wait. I am afraid that when I crack the connections so the air can push out the drain I might be in over my head.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2006, 11:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tucsonmac
    i will probably wait.
    I don't blame you... that's why I asked the first question. If it ain't broke, don't fix it :D
    (but if it does break, don't spend time trying to fix it... just replace it)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Hot water heater [ 5 Answers ]

I live in an 8-year old townhouse and have an A.O Smith 50 gallon hot water heater the same age. The plumber told me it needs to be replaced (does this sound like a reasonable time frame for that?) and mentioned something about a wags valve. Is this something I should have installed or is it...

Draining a hot water heater? [ 4 Answers ]

Is there any merit to draining/flushing a hot water heater at certain intervals to purge it of solids such as minerals to extend its life or otherwise cut down on the amount of corrosion?

Draining water lines before soldering [ 2 Answers ]

I'm currently putting a bathroom in my basement. I'm ready to tie into my existing water lines. I need to know if I need to shut off and empty my water heat in order to drain the water out of the lines. The water heater is in the basement and would be lower than any faucet. I would prefer not to...

View more questions Search