Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fixit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2005, 07:57 PM
    Basement Plumbing
    I'm presently trying to finish a bathroom in a basement that was started by a previous home owner, and want to move the shower location. The drainage is roughed into the concrete slab. There is a 4" (toilet drain), and two 2" drains (sink and shower). I want to move the shower location to where the sink drain is roughed in, and cap the shower drain. There appears to be no standing water in the drain I want to use. I believe the original plans were to install a trap above the slab for the sink. I do not want to raise the shower up to accommodate the trap. Vent stack is roughed in to a bathroom above, on main floor. House is hooked into a septic system. I don't believe I can hook the shower drain directly to the out flow without a trap. Are there any options other than busting up the concrete in order to put a trap in? Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 16, 2005, 06:50 AM
    Basement Plumbing
    Quote Originally Posted by fixit
    I'm presently trying to finish a bathroom in a basement that was started by a previous home owner, and want to move the shower location. The drainage is roughed into the concrete slab. There is a 4" (toilet drain), and two 2" drains (sink and shower). I want to move the shower location to where the sink drain is roughed in, and cap the shower drain. There appears to be no standing water in the drain I want to use. I believe the original plans were to install a trap above the slab for the sink. I do not want to raise the shower up to accommodate the trap. Vent stack is roughed in to a bathroom above, on main floor. House is hooked into a septic system. I don't believe I can hook the shower drain directly to the out flow without a trap. Are there any options other than busting up the concrete in order to put a trap in? Thanks!
    This is not a good idea. You can not only hook your shower up without a trap but you must vent it also if you cut out the lavatory. Your shower is roughed in with a trap under the floor with the stub-up coming out out of the cement. The lavatory drain is not trapped and will have to have a vent after stubbing out from a drainage tee to pick up the lav.
    To do what you wish ,( eliminate the lavatory and cap off the shower and move it) will mean breaking up the concrete to place the trap and stub-up so you can set a shower base on it plus running a separate vent from the new location to vent your bathroom group. Code forbids you to use the main stack vent to vent you new installation. It also forbids you to discharge major fixtures, such as your upstairs bathroom group past a unvented minor one such as your shower so that calls for a separate vent whatever you decide to do. My advice, Leave the rough-in as it stands or if you wish to change it get a licensed plumber in that knows local and state codes to advise you. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement plumbing [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in 1950. The finished basement has a room that had a kitchen sink in it. At the (insistent) request of my wife, I removed the kitchen sink so we could move our washer/dryer in there. The drain for the kitchen sink is located on the basement floor. The drain is a cast iron...

Basement plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a basement I want to finish were the plumbing is roughed in. They have 4 drain pipes in a row. One is 3 inches, two are two inches and one is one and a half inch. I figure one is for a shower , one is for a sink one is for the toilet, but what is the one and a half inch pipe for?

Basement plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install a shower, toilette and hand basin in the basement. I don't have a roughed in basement so I need an answer to a drain question. I have a sump pump in one corner and an ejector pump in the other corner close to the furnase. At the furnase there's a drainpipe connected to the drain...

New basement plumbing [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning on putting a bathroom in the basement. My ejector pit currently services a floor drain into which runs condensate from the central air as well as water from the central humidifier. I would like to install a toilet, sink, and shower. Do these each need separate connections to the...

Basement plumbing [ 10 Answers ]

I have an unfinished basement and I am planning to do the following: 1. install a french drain around the entire perimeter.With an opening along the base of the wall to catch any seepage that drips down the wall. 2. move the washer and dryer 25 feet from the sewer line.NOTE: the sewer line is...

View more questions Search