Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bob2build Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2005, 01:26 PM
    New basement plumbing
    I am planning on putting a bathroom in the basement. My ejector pit currently services a floor drain into which runs condensate from the central air as well as water from the central humidifier. I would like to install a toilet, sink, and shower. Do these each need separate connections to the pit, or can I run one 3 or 4 inch drain for the toilet directly to the pit, and tie in the proposed 2 inch lines from the sink and shower into the larger toilet line?

Also, regarding venting, can all these tie into the existing vent from the pit?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Bob
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 5, 2005, 04:28 PM
    Hey Bob,

You ask,"can I run one 3 or 4 inch drain for the toilet directly to the pit, and tie in the proposed 2 inch lines from the sink and shower into the larger toilet line?"
    Yes you may. It will go like this. 4" ,or 3 if code allows from the toilet to the pit. The lavatory will tie into that and be vented by a separate vent,( this could be a "cheater vent") and the shower drain will tie into the lavatory drain and be wet vented by it. Note: You may not tie the lavatory vent back into the pit vent. It must have its own vent. Good luck, Tom
    bob2build Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2005, 09:19 PM
    Hey, thanks for the help. What exactly is a "cheater vent"?

My ejector pump is about 8 years old and working fine. But since I will be installing all this new input into the pit, would you replace the working pump with a new one? What is the life expectancy on an ejector pump? I'd hate to do all this work and have to replace the current one within a year.

Again, thank you.
    Bob
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 7, 2005, 06:42 AM
    Good morning Bob,

"since I will be installing all this new input into the pit, would you replace the working pump with a new one?"
    I'm a great believer in, "If it ain't broke don't fix it". I don't know what the life of a grinder pump is since I've never had to replace one.
    A "cheater vent" is a spring loaded mechancal vent that is used when it's not feasible to run a outside vent. You can check them out at, http://www.studor.com/homeowners.htm Good luck, Tom
    handylady Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2005, 02:26 PM
    From reading some other threads, I thought you couldn't use a studor vent on a system with an ejector pump. I'm asking because I'm about to finish my basement. The bathroom fixtures are vented to the roof as is the ejector pump (roughed in anyway), but I am not sure that my wetbar stub is vented. It may be tied to the vanity vent to the roof, but not sure?
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 9, 2005, 03:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by handylady
    From reading some other threads, I thought you couldn't use a studor vent on a system with an ejector pump. I'm asking because I'm about to finish my basement. The bathroom fixtures are vented to the roof as is the ejector pump (roughed in anyway), but I am not sure that my wetbar stub is vented. It may be tied to the vanity vent to the roof, but not sure?
    Hi Lady,

You are correct. You can't use a "cheater vent" on a ejector pit. However if you will go back and read my reply, ( The lavatory will tie into that and be vented by a separate vent, this could be a "cheater vent" ) you will see I suggested using a "cheater vent" on the lavatory which is part of the bathroom group and not the vent that services the pit. As for your wet bar, if the ejector pit is vented to the out side you may vent the wet bar with a Cheater vent if you wish. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement plumbing [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in 1950. The finished basement has a room that had a kitchen sink in it. At the (insistent) request of my wife, I removed the kitchen sink so we could move our washer/dryer in there. The drain for the kitchen sink is located on the basement floor. The drain is a cast iron...

Basement plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a basement I want to finish were the plumbing is roughed in. They have 4 drain pipes in a row. One is 3 inches, two are two inches and one is one and a half inch. I figure one is for a shower , one is for a sink one is for the toilet, but what is the one and a half inch pipe for?

Basement plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install a shower, toilette and hand basin in the basement. I don't have a roughed in basement so I need an answer to a drain question. I have a sump pump in one corner and an ejector pump in the other corner close to the furnase. At the furnase there's a drainpipe connected to the drain...

Basement plumbing [ 10 Answers ]

I have an unfinished basement and I am planning to do the following: 1. install a french drain around the entire perimeter.With an opening along the base of the wall to catch any seepage that drips down the wall. 2. move the washer and dryer 25 feet from the sewer line.NOTE: the sewer line is...

Basement Plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

I'm presently trying to finish a bathroom in a basement that was started by a previous home owner, and want to move the shower location. The drainage is roughed into the concrete slab. There is a 4" (toilet drain), and two 2" drains (sink and shower). I want to move the shower location to where...

View more questions Search