Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Jul 11, 2010, 06:03 PM
    Outdoor fireplace using a chiminea
    I am building a cinder block surround for an outdoor fireplace and until I get money and time to finish it out is it OK to set the chiminea in it or even enclose the top with a chimney flue. I really want to just incorporate the chiminea inside the enclosure instead of buying fire brick and worrying about a smoke chamber and all right now. The posts are for benches. I also have the top of a clay Kamado that my Dad gave me. The bottom part broke but I have the dome top and steel damper cover. Can I use this on top of my surround with a clay chimney flue? I will be using refractory mortar to join them. The small charcoal grill will be incorporated in the side with wood storage below it. This is just for the backyard. I have another area with a propane grill that I will be building into an outdoor kitchen.
    The cinder blocks are just dry set for measurements and not set in mortar yet. I also need to find 4x8x12 blocks so I won't have to make cuts. Work in progress!
    Name:  IMG_1039.jpg
Views: 2240
Size:  76.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1038.jpg
Views: 4748
Size:  93.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1026.jpg
Views: 3599
Size:  118.9 KB

Attachment 31912
    Name:  IMG_1039.jpg
Views: 2240
Size:  76.8 KB
    Triptick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2013, 09:17 AM
    Hi Patty, I'm new to the forum and have actually never used one before so I hope this works. I am planning on building an outdoor fireplace and came across your posts. I am very impressed with what I have seen but can't find any photos past the basic block pictures you posted. Do you have any completed photos that I could see?

Thank you!
    (Do I use my name or Profie)
    Sean/Triptick
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Jan 22, 2013, 10:21 AM
    Here are some photos of it finished.
    Attachment 42515

Attachment 42516

Attachment 42517

Attachment 42518

Attachment 42519
    If you go to my photos on myspace you will see the photos of the whole process there. It's on page 2 backyard fireplace and Bar-b-que.
    Www.myspace.com/pattyg2

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outdoor kiva fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

Any suggestions on how to frame out an outdoor, kiva fireplace? It will burn wood... Thanks, John

Female outdoor cat not accepting new male outdoor cat [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 10 year old spayed female cat that has always lived in our garage and is very spoiled. We live out in the country. A male cat about two years old that is very sweet also showed up and is now neutered. He is not dominate to the female and wants to live in the garage also. They each have...

Leak around basement fireplace but not in fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

Recently when we had heavy rain it leaked around the baement fireplace. I have noticed that the grout around the bricks are wet (not sure if soaking up from the floor). Thought because some flooding near by that it was a one time thing. Now it rained a coupe of days ago and I am noticing that it is...

Fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

I bought my townhouse, new in 1991 direct from the builder. The fireplace came with the townhouse and is now 12 years old. Here is my problem, In the front left & right corners of the bottom of the fireplace where the floor of the fireplace and metal frame come together there is a gap of about...

View more questions Search