Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2006, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCUTIE77
    If it wasn't for me, I don't think he would be where he is now.... with a good therapist and on meds... even though I think he still has these moods because he doesn't always take them when he is supposed to and now that he feels better even denies a little that he's bipolar....
    I'm sure he owes you a great debt. You stuck by him when nobody else would. You're a true friend. The cycle is so predictable: Manic phase; crash and burn; back on meds; back to normal; life gets boring; these meds bring me down; I'm fine without them; This is more like it!; Manic phase;... The thing is, the choice to stop taking the meds is made when he's NOT manic. After he's on that slippery slope, of course it's the biochemical imbalance that's drivng. But that's not when the critical decision is made. It's sort of the inverse of alcoholism--all you have to ingest to go on a bender is nothing. How could that be wrong? It's very hard, because they're at their funniest, most creative, and most attractive just after they've stopped their meds, and just before they go completely over the edge. You don't want to bring them down any more than they want to come down. You keep thinking "Surely this time they'll stop before it spins out of control", but no.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCUTIE77
    I don't think this situation has anything to do with another girl or something.... I think that this whole thing blew out of proportion and he simply can't handle things.....? I know the ride that I could take with this guy.... but there is just something that connects me so deeply with him.... Do you think this bipolar/OCD stuff has to do with this situation?
    I think it has everything to do with the situation. You can't fix him and you can't save him, but you can love him if you're strong enough. What you have to decide is how much you can stand. A friend of mine used to say "You just have to hang on for all you're worth and go for it, and if the going gets too rough, let go and see what happens."
    NJCUTIE77 Posts: 48, Reputation: 6

Dec 6, 2006, 12:52 PM
    You seem to know about this stuff... and I answered your post as best I could... believe me.. romance is good! GIRLS LOVE THE SPONTANEOUS STUFF... but... have you ever heard of Borderline Personality Disorder... someone told me to read about it and this is what I found about it that actually goes together with everything.. I'm thinking of perhaps forwarding this to his family since the doctors never really looked into it but this seems just like my situation:

Symptoms
    While a person with depression or bipolar disorder typically endures the same mood for weeks, a person with BPD may experience intense bouts of anger, depression, and anxiety that may last only hours, or at most a day.5 These may be associated with episodes of impulsive aggression, self-injury, and drug or alcohol abuse. Distortions in cognition and sense of self can lead to frequent changes in long-term goals, career plans, jobs, friendships, gender identity, and values. Sometimes people with BPD view themselves as fundamentally bad, or unworthy. They may feel unfairly misunderstood or mistreated, bored, empty, and have little idea who they are. Such symptoms are most acute when people with BPD feel isolated and lacking in social support, and may result in frantic efforts to avoid being alone.

People with BPD often have highly unstable patterns of social relationships. While they can develop intense but stormy attachments, their attitudes towards family, friends, and loved ones may suddenly shift from idealization (great admiration and love) to devaluation (intense anger and dislike). Thus, they may form an immediate attachment and idealize the other person, but when a slight separation or conflict occurs, they switch unexpectedly to the other extreme and angrily accuse the other person of not caring for them at all. Even with family members, individuals with BPD are highly sensitive to rejection, reacting with anger and distress to such mild separations as a vacation, a business trip, or a sudden change in plans. These fears of abandonment seem to be related to difficulties feeling emotionally connected to important persons when they are physically absent, leaving the individual with BPD feeling lost and perhaps worthless. Suicide threats and attempts may occur along with anger at perceived abandonment and disappointments.

People with BPD exhibit other impulsive behaviors, such as excessive spending, binge eating and risky sex. BPD often occurs together with other psychiatric problems, particularly bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety disorders, substance abuse, and other personality disorders.

Dec 14, 2006, 07:10 AM
    Could someone please give me some more advice regarding this situation.. I would really appreciate it since I'm kind of at a standstill here... Thanks guys!
    cyberslider Posts: 45, Reputation: 6

Dec 14, 2006, 11:29 AM
    My advice would be if you truly love him and it sounds like you do then let him go.If he comes back it was meant to be if he does not then it was not to be. You should take this time and explore who else is out there and test yourself as to who you truly want sample the goods before you buy

Dec 14, 2006, 11:38 AM
    Right.. I totally understand what you are saying and I guess my question is based on: is the way he is acting based on his issues..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bad luck, bad karma, or bad self-esteem? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently heard once again a comment I've heard many, MANY times over the past several years: "You and your husband have worse luck than anyone else I know!" and I have one question: "Why is that?" You see, just about the time we get to the point we can manage to keep up on all our monthly...

Advice on Giving Advice [ 16 Answers ]

Hey all! I have a slight dilemna and I'd like it if you guys and gals can help me out. I have two friends who are in a relationship together, but things have become kind of rocky between them. The problem is that they are both my friends so they both confide in me and ask for advice. At present...

Bad Bad Bad [ 2 Answers ]

Pills do ****, they are placebo (Spelling? )... On every pill bottle it says "Along with you eating a proper diet and daily exercise..." Any doctor will tell you that you need a healthy diet and daily exercise to lose weight! Silly geese who buy these pills! Don't BUY THEM THEY ARE BAD!

Need 2 know! BAD! [ 3 Answers ]

How can you tell if you are implantation bleedin(baby) or having a very light period? Really need 2 know!! :confused: :(

Smelly sink-dont use boiling water!Bad advice [ 3 Answers ]

HI, I just tried a method of getting rid of a smelly bathroom sink by adding 1/2 gal of bleach, letting it sit overnite, and then flushing it with boiling water. To my surprise and total dissapointment, my $500 pedestal sink cracked in half due to the hot water! No one ever mentioned anything about...

View more questions Search