Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rr man Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2010, 06:31 PM
    Are citronella dog collars effective?
    My 60 pound German Shepard dog has a bad habit of barking at people or other animals he sees passing by. He is a house dog at night but spends most of daytime outdoors in our 1 acre fenced in yard. I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with bark deterent collars. I don't like the shock collars, but am considering either a sonic collar or citronella spray collar. Which is the most effective?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2010, 08:15 PM

The citronella collars work pretty good. From experience, the ultra sonic bark collars/devices just drive the dogs crazy.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2010, 09:44 PM

My mother bought a citronella collar for her Great Dane.
    Stopped the barking within 3 days!
    After a week she didn't need to put the collar on him any more, if he went to bark she just picked the collar up off the table and he would look at it and run away!

Very impressed.

It might not work on all dogs though, some react very well to the citronella collars, while others just ignore then so it depends on your individual dog.

Mar 25, 2010, 02:29 AM
    Thanks for the responses, I'm going to try the citronella collar and see what happens. Is there any particular brand or model that works best? I'm not really concerned with the cost, I just want something that is the most effective. Sure would appreciate any input and advice. Thanks again for your input.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2010, 04:31 AM

Can't really help you with brands, hopefully someone from the US an recommend one.

Another thing you could try with the barking is getting him to learn to focus.
    This is just done by using something that grabs his attention (a toy or a treat) and use a word like "look" or "focus"
    Start training him at home by holding the treat and getting him to look at at while saying your command word, hold for a few seconds then give him the treat. Make how long you get him to stare at the treat for longer each time.

Eventually you an try just going out into your front yard and using the treat and command and if he does well get a friend to walk past and see if he reacts.
    If he turns to look at the person walking past, just correct him and regain his focus on the treat.

Eventually you should be able to get him to a level where he will be focusing on the treat instead of people walking past. So if you see someone with a dog coming towards you you can just get him to focus on you, not the dog.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2010, 08:07 AM

The brand name is Premier. You want to make sure to buy the citronella spray can with the same brand name. There is another bottle you can purchase that is cheaper, but its not real citronella. Premier sells the real deal. You can purchase the device at any petstore, or of coarse online.

Here's their webpage
    http://www.premier.com/

Mar 25, 2010, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Can't really help you with brands, hopefully someone from the US an recommend one.

Another thing you could try with the barking is getting him to learn to focus.
    This is just done by using something that grabs his attention (a toy or a treat) and use a word like "look" or "focus"
    Start training him at home by holding the treat and getting him to look at at while saying your command word, hold for a few seconds then give him the treat. Make how long you get him to stare at the treat for longer each time.

Eventually you an try just going out into your front yard and using the treat and command and if he does well get a friend to walk past and see if he reacts.
    If he turns to look at the person walking past, just correct him and regain his focus on the treat.

Eventually you should be able to get him to a level where he will be focusing on the treat instead of people walking past. So if you see someone with a dog coming towards you you can just get him to focus on you, not the dog.
    Thanks for your input, we have been trying this method of training and it works really well when he is indoors or no one else is around, etc. But as soon as he spots a person or another animal passing by, he just goes nuts and completely ignores us and our treats, etc. So I think I'll give the citronella spray collar a try. Thanks again for response.

Mar 25, 2010, 06:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    The brand name is Premier. You want to make sure to buy the citronella spray can with the same brand name. There is another bottle you can purchase that is cheaper, but its not real citronella. Premier sells the real deal. You can purchase the device at any petstore, or of coarse online.

Here's their webpage
    Premier Pet
    I appreciate your response and advice. I checked with the local pet store and they do carry the Premier line, so I'm headed there first thing in the morning. I know I could get it a little cheaper online, but my wife said heck with the cost, get it NOW! Thanks again, Premier it is!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puncture cut on my buddies neck this is why I don't believe in shock collars [ 4 Answers ]

Hello after much desperation my niehbors put me in a spot where it was get a shock collar and train my dog or be fined for his behavior. So here is the problem in all the years of owning a pooch I have never used a shock collar because well simply put it bugs me anyway after realising I had to get...

Puppy ID Collars [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone have experience with puppy ID collars? One of my girls may be expecting another litter (to sson to tell yet) and I am considering using these. Previously, I have used little spots of coloured nail varnish to identify my pups but this is not particularly effective as it tends to wear off...

Who sings the song my neck is always red my collars still blue my hairs turning white? [ 1 Answers ]

Who sing the son my neck is always been red my collar still blue and my hairs turning white?

Shock collars,are they very good. [ 8 Answers ]

My Wife is most likely going to get one for our 11 week old great dane. This puppy is a monster he is getting a little better but not much.

Is this effective? [ 4 Answers ]

:p hello, I have darker skin on my face due to excessive sun damage and now I am wondering how I can get rid of this:( , I have currently been using a cream called "Superfade Original" and it seemed to work as my forehead as shown some improvement. All I want to know is, is this cream...

View more questions Search