Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    steveladd Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2006, 05:52 AM
    Waste system pressure testing
    What is the best way to air pressure test a new pvc waste/vent line?

The plumbing inspector wants it air tested @ 5 psi for 15 minutes. This is the rough plumbing for a second floor addition, so I've glued all the pvc, but have not glued the connections to the main soil stack or to the main vent stack.

Can I simply cover all the open connections with fernco quickcaps and use one opening for the gauge and air injection? For the gauge fitting, can I just concoct something temporarily that will go from 1 1/2" (for the sink) to a 1/2" thread so I can connect my gauage (which also has an air inlet and stop valve)?

The gauge I have is 0-100 psi, so that probably isn't accurate enough for 5 psi is it?

Is there more to this?
    omzig Posts: 119, Reputation: 19

Oct 28, 2006, 07:10 AM
    I don't think it matters how you plug up the ends. When I roughed-in a recent bathroom addition, I used a toilet flange with a knockout seal, and put test plugs in the shower and vent through the roof. Then I used a Fernco coupling to a PVC 1-1/2" to 1/2" fitting to connect the 1/2" pipe that went to my gauge, ball valve, and air fitting.

I also put a test tee right before I wyed into the main drain. This way I could use a test ball to isolate the new branch from my existing drains.

My inspector seemed to like this setup. One thing though, In my area the gauge couldn't be more than 15psi full-scale. They are a little hard to find but I found one online.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 28, 2006, 07:11 AM
    Hi Steve,

In our area we use a water static test for our rough ins. We seal off all the openings and place a inflatable test ball in the clean out to completely seal it off, fill the stacks from the roof and let it set overnight. Next day the inspector shows up and if there's still water in the stacks, and no leaks, the job gets passed.

"Can I simply cover all the open connections with fernco quickcaps and use one opening for the gauge and air injection? For the gauge fitting, can I just concoct something temporarily that will go from 1 1/2" (for the sink) to a 1/2" thread so I can connect my gauage (which also has an air inlet and stop valve)?"
    Yes, you can bush down the 1 1/2" opening to 1/2", (most gages are 1/4" male threads.)
    "The gauge I have is 0-100 psi, so that probably isn't accurate enough for 5 psi is it?"
    The inspector will probably need a more accurate gage then 100 PSI.

"Is there more to this?"

You seem to have covered all bases. Good luck on the inspection, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recommended heating system pressure [ 16 Answers ]

Hi all, We have a natural gas fired boiler/furnace/whatever-it's-called heating system (i.e. I don't know the exact technical term for this machine. I do know that it boils water only for the heating system - we have a separate water heater for regular hot water use). The system supposed to heat...

System losing pressure [ 1 Answers ]

Twice in the last 2 weeks I have lost all water pressure on my system.On both occasions I have had to manually restart the pump.would this be a pump or pressure control failure?The system seems to run wel then all of a sudden no water.

No pressure sprinkler system. [ 3 Answers ]

We recently had a sprinkler system installed. We have a well. According to the sprinkler guy, our lack of pressure is not his problem. Is there a way to boost the pressure in the system?

How do I increase H2O pressure on well system with a water filtration system? [ 2 Answers ]

Howdy, I would like to know how I can increase my water pressure. My current system uses a well pump with a small pressure tank, and "D" control valve. It then runs through a WATERSOFT filtration tank, RAINSOFT water softner, and on the Hot water side, an AQUASTAR on demand hot water system. I...

Water Pressure from Well System Fluctuates [ 2 Answers ]

The flow of water frequently will fluctuate. It will drop some for a 5 or 10 seconds and then resume the original rate. This occurs over a much shorter interval of time than the typical cycle when the pump comes on at 30 PSI to boost the pressure in the tank back to 50 PSI. Our system is 12...

View more questions Search