Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peace23 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2008, 08:22 PM
    Painting clay pots
    Can I paint a clay pot with a plant growing in it? If so-with what type of paint?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2008, 08:14 AM
    Here is a search engine full of ideas.

AOL Search results for "painting old clay flower pots"

Hope they give you some good ideas on exactly how you would want to do it.
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2008, 08:27 AM
    I looked some more and found this

Make sure no water is trapped in the terra cotta.

Now, you are ready to put a coat of oil based primer.

Whether you are using a Terra Cotta Flower Pots or plastic flower pots this is a very important step. Your paint will not stick to your surface if you don't prime your Flower Pots.

Allow your oil based primer to dry completely.

Put on a coat of your base paint, this should be a warm color like green or blue.

Let this dry for at least 24 hours.

Any good arts and crafts store should be able to help and give suggestions.

I was thinking the paint they use for tole paint should work.
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2008, 08:38 AM
    Oil may be more toxic.
    Try to use no fumes and non toxic and you should be okay.
    Like I said a good arts and crafts store or even a flower shop should be able to help with suggestions.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2008, 03:07 PM
    My sister in law uses regular craft paint and does fine with it, you can get the paint at places like Hobby Lobby, or Walmart.
    marymack55 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2008, 02:19 PM
    I have painted plain clay pots with Cheap-O latex paints. One has been outside for 4 years--no fading or flaking, etc. I would NEVER use oil paints. There are chemicals in them which can seep into the soil. If you eat any part of the plant those chemicals can go into you. That's why all the old master painter's were pretty much crazy in some way or another--serious heavy metals in the old oils and the new ones, too. It's the price they paid for getting pretty colors. marymack55
    jujube Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2008, 05:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by peace23
    Can I paint a clay pot with a plant growing in it? If so-with what type of paint?
    You can buy Patio Paint by ceramcoat at any craft store and it will work. There are other brands of outdoor paint for terra cotta pots. You just need the pot to be as dry as possible or it won't dry and "cure" as well as it should. I have some that I have left outside for three winters here in the midwest and they are still fine. It is best to paint the entire pot with these paints, though. I wouldn't recommend using oil based paints- they may leach toxins out to your plants.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question about non-stick Teflon pots/pans [ 6 Answers ]

I think the non-stick stuff is called Teflon, right? Anyway, I was wondering about how long you can use a non-stick pot before it needs to be disposed of and replaced? I have 2 large non stick pots and one of them which is less frequently used is still dark black and smooth inside. The other...

Can't remember the title - movie about leprechauns and fairy rings and pots of gold [ 2 Answers ]

There is this movie that I can't remember the name of and it's driving me crazy. It's an older movie about leprechauns and fairy rings and rainbows. There are two kids who befriend a leprechaun only they don't know it, and the leprechaun ends up getting sick and telling them where his pot of gold...

Grass seed For clay [ 2 Answers ]

I live in central Wisconsin. We have built a home on a ridge and have nothing but clay for our whole yard. We cannot afford to buy black dirt. Is there a good grass seed for 1.5 acre of yard? Thanks For any advice.:confused:

Beneciation of bentonite clay [ 2 Answers ]

1.I Want To Know The Identity,physical And Chemical Properties Of Bentonite. 2.I Also Know The Process Use In The Beneciation Of Bentonite

View more questions Search